Brain (Cerebral) Aneurysm Community
Scared!

WELCOME TO ANEURYSM THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Brain Aneurysms which is a weak or thin spot on a blood vessel in the brain that balloons out and fills with blood. The bulging aneurysm can put pressure on a nerve or surrounding brain tissue. It may also leak or rupture, spilling blood into the surrounding tissue (called a hemorrhage). Some cerebral aneurysms, particularly those that are very small, do not bleed or cause other problems. Cerebral aneurysms can occur anywhere in the brain, but most are located along a loop of arteries that run between the underside of the brain and the base of the skull.

Scared!

Hi,  I have been badgering my doctor for the last 18 months about my lack of energy and also have had no periods for 2 years (39y.o.).  Eventually, and i mean eventually, my doctor tested my prolactin levels and these were quite high and therefore a pituitary glad tumor was suspected and i was referred to an endicrinologist.  

So last month I went in for an MRI.  I was due to get the results when I got called back in for an MRA. (i don't know the difference?).  Anyway.  Got the results today.  I have been told I have an aneurysm which is pressing on the stalk of my pituitary gland and have been referred to a neuro surgeon.  

I am terrified.  I am a single mum to a 6 year old and am scared that it could burst at any time when i am home alone with him.  The endicrinologist was worse than useless and could tell me absolutely nothing at all and answer none of my questions.

Im told i have to wait about a month for an appointment with a neurosurgeon and i am beside myself with worry.  Also, I am due to fly on holiday in two weeks and he could not tell me whether this was contraindicated or not and now i don't know what to do.  

Please help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. MRA means a group of techniques based on MRI to image blood vessels. magnetic resonance angiography is used to generate images of the arteries to evaluate them for stenosis, occlusion or aneurysms. Usually the Prolactin inhibiting factor transport is interrupted due to pituitary stalk section getting interrupted or compressed by a cerebral aneurysm etc. this is the stalk effect and causes elevation of prolactin causing irregular periods etc. consult a neurosurgeon as to the treatment modality. They would want to do a clipping of the aneurysm immediately. Hope this helps. Take care.
Hi Kerry:   I have an aneurysm pressing into my pituitary gland.  Have been seeing an endocrinologist and neurosurgeons.  My doctors say they have never seen an aneurysm pressing the pituitary gland before.  I recently went to Mayo Clinic for their opinion and they say to get the aneurysm fixed soon.   I realize that your comment was written several years ago, but I would love to communicate with someone who has been through a similar situations like me.   Hope all is going well for you now.  My prayers go out for you.