Brain (Cerebral) Aneurysm Community
Why do doctors wait for brain aneurysms to grow a little larger before ...

WELCOME TO ANEURYSM THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Brain Aneurysms which is a weak or thin spot on a blood vessel in the brain that balloons out and fills with blood. The bulging aneurysm can put pressure on a nerve or surrounding brain tissue. It may also leak or rupture, spilling blood into the surrounding tissue (called a hemorrhage). Some cerebral aneurysms, particularly those that are very small, do not bleed or cause other problems. Cerebral aneurysms can occur anywhere in the brain, but most are located along a loop of arteries that run between the underside of the brain and the base of the skull.

Why do doctors wait for brain aneurysms to grow a little larger before surgery or coiling?

Instead of removing it while it is still small?
The aneruysm is never removed.  It is either clipped, stented, glued, or coiled.  Some aneruysms don't grow beyond a certain size.  Others may continue to grow larger or wider.  Waiting until it grows to a certain size allows the Doctor to determine the optimal procedure.  As I understand, 5.0 (cm or mm, can't remember which) is the size that warrants intervention.  Growing from a 3.5 to a 4.0 could take years or months - no knows for sure.  
In my case, my aneurysm was so small (I think about 3mm), the doc had trouble getting the coil in it. He was able to do that after some work, and it did start to clot out which is the goal.  Probably hours to a couple of weeks later, the coil migrated to another artery where it has adhered to the wall.

So, now, we're just going to wait and see.  I'll have another angiogram or MRI (I forget.  Eddie1994?) in a year.