Brain Health Community
Brain MRI results

This community is a place where members can find information and support pertaining to injury, memory, problem solving, language skills, brain games, nutrition supplements and fitness as they relate to brain health. Discussions are limited to brain health only. Bipolar, Depression, and Schizophrenia topics are best suited for discussion on those communities

Brain MRI results

Hi Dr.

My dad was dizzy (feeling vertigo). He is diabetic patient with hypertension.

Dr. asked for an MRI of brain.

Please Explain me this results in Layman's Terms:

1. Multiple small lacunar infarcts in bilateral fronto - parietal periventricular white matter & centrum semiovale.

2. Generalized mild cerebral & cerebellar atrophic changes.

Hi!
Your father has two main conditions (diabetes and hypertension) which can cause small blood vessels in the brain to block up. This causes ischemic changes known as infarcts which are seen as white lesions on MRI. Once the blood supply is cut off the brain tissue starts atrophy. Atrophy can also be age related. Since the cerebellum is affected, it could be a cause of vertigo. Other possibilities are a sudden drop in blood sugar or blood pressure. Both should be monitored for 24 hours to se if there is a drop. Do discuss this with your father’s doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi I am diabetic, but its under control, and do have HPB, and that is under control.  Every so often (rare) I get a dizzy/blackout spell for a few seconds, and I hear a sizzling sound on top of my head that travels from the rite side to the left.  Only lasts a few seconds, but I don't know what it is. I do note that its when I am crouched over reading my computer.  could that b it?  thank you.
hi SuzyQ58, I tell you one good thing which will help you with medicines, My dad is doing Yoga. And He is feeling good. You start practicing yoga but DON'T FORGET TO TAKE MEDICINES. take your medicines as directed by physician and in morning do yoga its very good for HBP patients.