Brain Health Community
MRI results

This community is a place where members can find information and support pertaining to injury, memory, problem solving, language skills, brain games, nutrition supplements and fitness as they relate to brain health. Discussions are limited to brain health only. Bipolar, Depression, and Schizophrenia topics are best suited for discussion on those communities

MRI results

I had an MRI performed and these are the results. The nurse from the office said everything was "normal"? Does this look normal? Thanks for any help!

MRI OF THE BRAIN WITHOUT CONTRAST:

HISTORY: Memory loss.

COMPARISON: CT of 6/2/08.

Axial T1, FLAIR, T2, perfusion-diffusion, sagittal and coronal T1 weighted images of the brain are obtained without IV contrast.

FINDINGS:

There is atrophy or a chronic infarct of the left cerebellum. Mild brainstem gliosis is seen. There is no acute infarction, mass effect, midline shift, intra or extra-axial fluid collection. Nonspecific periventricular and deep white matter change may correspond to microvascular disease. There is mild global atrophy. The lateral and third ventricles are mildly dilated in comparison to the degree of atrophy and normal pressure hydrocephalus cannot be excluded . Mild inflammation is visualized in the paranasal cavities and mastoid air cells. Mucous retention cysts and/or polyps are seen prominently in the left ethmoid cells. There is evidence of bilateral lens surgery. The cerebellar tonsils terminate at level of the foramen magnum. There is degenerative change in the visualized cervical spine. Dental hardware accounts for significant susceptibility artifacts.

IMPRESSION:

1. There is no acute intracranial abnormality or mass effect as can be determined on this unenhanced study.
2. Nonspecific mild leukomalacia and microvascular disease is considered.
3. Mild global atrophy.
4. Nonspecific mild ventriculomegaly. Normal pressure hydrocephalus cannot be excluded.
5. Mild sinusitis and mastoiditis.

Try an fMRI (functional). They actually have you doing things in which you have to think and reason while the MRI is taking place. By doing so, they can get a map of your synapses. An fMRI charts the electron flow so they can see where your brain may not be working.

A regular MRI only looks for fluids so if you have injured your brain but not bad enough for a bleed, the MRI won't see it. I had 3 MRIs that came back normal before the fMRI found my TBI issues.
There are some things mentioned in the report that are not normal, as far as that goes.  What to make of it depends on the reason the MRI was done and how the results of the MRI will influence your treatment.  In my experience, some doctors will describe the outcome of a test as "normal" if they think that it is normal for you, given your situation.  It might not be normal for a young, perfectly healthy person, but it is normal for you.  I also have had doctors tell me that my test results were normal if the results did not provide any basis for a change in my ongoing treatment plan.  

When the results are normal for you, and when there is not going to be any change in treatment, I think that oftentimes doctors do not see any point in having a detailed discussion.  If you want to have a detailed discussion of your MRI, I think you will need to ask the doctor who ordered the test for more information.