Brain Health Community
Severe head pressure

This community is a place where members can find information and support pertaining to injury, memory, problem solving, language skills, brain games, nutrition supplements and fitness as they relate to brain health. Discussions are limited to brain health only. Bipolar, Depression, and Schizophrenia topics are best suited for discussion on those communities

Severe head pressure

My husband is experiencing very painful head pressure. He says it feels like the blood comes rushing into his head but doesn't come out, like he has something really heavy on top of his head. He first felt it after doing a little bit of cardio in the pool. It was so painful that He thought he was having a stroke and we even called 911. His blood pressure was a little bit high but they did not find anything wrong with him and after 45 mins it got better. But, later on that night he got excited and got the same pressure in the head back. He's now experiencing it by just having a normal bowel movement. He had a MRI and MRA done and they both came back normal. He's so terrified but no one seems to know or have an idea of what can be causing this.  
Tags: Severe head pressure, head pressure
It sounds like whatever is happening is over and done with by the time he gets medical attention.  The only thing I can suggest is to take his vital signs (respiration rate, heart rate, and blood pressure) right when the problem is happening, and then take vital signs again when the symptoms go away.  Respiration is probably going to be normal, since you don't mention that he has any shortness of breath.  Pulse and blood pressure might -- or might not be -- abnormal.  

The vital sign information will be a clue, either way.  If this is a cardiovascular problem, I would expect a major change in heart rate and blood pressure to occur during the incident, and then there would be a return to normal when the symptoms stop.  If vital signs are normal or close to normal throughout, then maybe the problem lies in a different organ system.  It wouldn't be a bad idea for your husband, in any case, to monitor his vital signs once a day, around the same time of day, at least for a while, so he has a good idea of what is "normal" for him.

The other thought that comes to mind is that, if your husband does not have a primary care physician, he needs one.  There needs to be a doctor who is managing "the big picture" and referring your husband to specialists as needed.  Otherwise, you don't know where to start.
Thank you for your response. The paramedics took his blood pressure when it happened the first time, and it was high. It has been high ever since. 190/90. The also did the spinal tap and the pressure in the fluid was high. Don't know what that means exactly but I'm eating to talk to the doctors.
Thank you for your response. The paramedics took his blood pressure when it happened the first time, and it was high. It has been high ever since. 190/90. The also did the spinal tap and the pressure in the fluid was high. Don't know what that means exactly but I'm waiting to talk to the doctors.

Cristinausa  
less than a minute
Sorry there are some abnormal findings, but glad the investigation is ongoing.  Keep us posted, if you will.  He'll be in my thoughts.