Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Abdominal pain after vp shunt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Abdominal pain after vp shunt

I am a 26 year old female that had a brain tumor removed april 3, 2008, and then a vp shunt put in mid may. I have had severe intermittent abdominal pain since the shunt surgery that sometimes increases when I inhale deeply. In addition I feel spasming in my colon which I have never felt before. I have been to several doctors, including the neurosurgeon who implanted the shunt, and he said he had never heard of pain associated with a shunt, and suggested I see a gastrointestinal specialist. Any advice?
I also had a vp shunt put in 2 weeks ago and have had severe pain in my abdomen, colon, bladder and cervix.  The neurosurgeons nurses told me to see my family physician.  She has no clue.  The pain seems to move around as the day goes on.  It doubles me over at times.  It feels like a knife stabbing me.  This whole process has not been a good experience anyway.  My post-op visit is not scheduled until 4 weeks after surgery when the surgeon said 2 weeks.  I too would like to know if any one has any answers. but also wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
I had a VP Shunt placement in 2003.  After the shunt was placed, I had abdominal pain.  If I took a deep breath, lifted anything over 10 lbs., etc...  I ignored it, but did bring it up at one or two doctors appt.  It finally turned out that I had a hernia caused by the placement in my belly.

Today, I have a scar above my belly button and one right above from the shunting.

Hope this helps.
I read your posting and was wondering if you found the answer. My husband had a vp shunt placement on June 27, 2008 and last week started developing sharp addominal pain. The doctor said it could be scar tissue forming but today we were told it may be the tubing ( which is loose in the stomach cavity ) may be moving around and it hurts him. We are going for an x-ray tomorrow and if that's what it is, they may want to do a surgery to cut the tubing shorter. I will let you know what happens, please let me know if your pain got any better.
A related discussion, shunt/abd pain was started.
A related discussion, Bowel perforation by VP shunt was started.
A related discussion, VP Shunt was started.
A related discussion, vp shunt tubing was started.
I had a vp shunt placed October of 2011 for psuedo tumor cerebri and I've had increasing abdominal pain that moves from left side to right side to pelvic area since the surgery. Within the last week the pain has been at its worst only on my right side around my ribs. I cannot take a deep breath for I feel .like I'm being stabbed and I can hardly move. I have never had pain that has made me scream and cry in pain. I've seen ky neurosurgeon, primary care doctor and I've been to the urgent care and emergency room where I've had an abdominal ultrasound done, two abdominal x rays done, a chest x ray and a cat scan done among a ton of blood tests and urine tests. I show no signs of infection, inflamation (inflammation), accumulating fluid, bleeding, or twisting of the tube. So no one has any clue why I'm in pain, which makes me feel like I'm.going crazy. I'm meeting with a general surgeon this Wednesday in hopes of any answer or options for this pain. I have to stay drugged up on pain pills to tolerate the pain. I'm really concerned but just know you're not alone in this pain.
i was on here searching for answers and maybe i can help. i had vp shunt in august 2011. since i have had the shunt i have had severe abdominal pain, colon pain, genital pain and pain in my sides when i inhale. i have been treated for swollen prostate and that hasnt fixed the problem. my neurosurgeon said the tubing was fine as we had exrays and ct scan and ultrasound done in regards to the tubing and come to find out it has been the tubing all along.
Hi Bryant245,

I have exactly the same pain, if I didn't have to breath, I would be fine! Doctors will tell you that the shunt is benign and shouldn't cause you any pain, but its a foreign object that perforates your diaphragm and is sewn into you peritoneal cavity, so I am don't really buy that entirely.  My shunt was put in May 2008, and only recently has the pain you are describing subsided.  I had so many tests run and saw so many doctors, but pain is a really difficult thing to treat. When it comes, I do some standard shoulder exercises, which sometimes help, sometimes not.  It may be worthwhile to see a physical therapist, maybe where the tissues on which the tubing is lying are forming adhesions.  I hope this helps, there are few things worse than feeling like you can't breath properly.  
Keep us updated!
Glad you were persistent! Thank you for posting!
I have had two episodes of pain so bad in my right side (right under my rib cage) that I have ended up in urgent care twice in the last year.  I had my shunt removed in 12-10 (from right side head) and replaced at a different site (top center head).  They removed as much of the old tube as possible and put new tubing in with the new shunt.  It was fine for about two months, when I had my first trip to the urgent care.  They diagnosed me with really bad gas!  Obviously not the case, but the pain subsided within a week or so.  No major episodes other than minor pain, radiating to right shoulder,  until about 2-3 months ago.  Then, another trip to the urgent care with pain so bad it would cripple the healthiest athlete.  I had a follow up with my doctor, a CT and a trip to a gastro...after calling my neurosurgeon, who said all looked fine on the CT.  The GI was the most awesome doctor I had ever seen, and took the time to ask me many questions, including lifestyle changes, weight changes, etc.  After telling him I had lost quite a bit of weight (intentionally), we got to the part where I had been exercising A LOT, including joining a Boot Camp exercise program.  Burpies (with 10 pound weights) is the exercise I think was the culprit, but I basically tore my diaphragm at the site where the catheter went through to my abdomen.  He explained they had to make an incision in the diaphragm to guide the tube through and the exercise had probably caused a tear.  He felt the site and immediately confirmed his suspicions, when he said he could almost feel the build up of scar tissue.  So, he sent me home with samples of Nexium and told me to take Ibuprofen every 4-6.  Pain subsided in about another week and a half.  I still have similar pain occasionally, but go easy on the exercise. I'm not saying it's cause for any of your pains, but it was mine and hopefully this will help somebody.  Pain right under rib cage, radiating to shoulder and possibly down to belly is likely diaphragm related, according to my doctor.  The shoulder pain is unmistakable each time this creeps up again.  He also said it can tear so bad that organs will start to come through the hole - Diaphragmatic Hernia. Luckily this was not the case for me.  Just have to be careful now and no act like I haven't had brain surgery 4 times so far. Life is good!

Good luck!
Thanks for telling us your story!
The way you described the pain you were experiencing is the exact way I would describe mine.  Pain right under rib cage, radiating to shoulder, being diagnosed with gas, I assume the pain would increase as you inhaled?  What did your GI doc say the prognosis was?  Will you ever be able to exercise like that again?  Will the diaphragm eventually heal enough with scar tissue to where the pain subsides completely? Thanks for telling your story, its can be reassuring to know you're not alone.