Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Arachnoid Cyst left retrocerebellar causing left arm/hand paralysis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

My left arm/hand recently became paralyzed without provocation. I had radial nerve palsy - wrist drop. It was severe and the paralysis lasted about 2 months, now it is improved but still have numbness, tingling & pain (and atrophied muscles now). They thought it was from degenerated disks in my neck, but the docs weren't convinced by my mri. I had C5-C6 fused after I was rear-ended in a car accident in 2005 and had pinched nerves causing severe neck & arm pain & inability to raise my arms at all. The latest MRI showed C4-C5 was degenerated with narrowing on the left, but the doctor wasn't convinced this was the cause of my left arm/hand problem. I also have deterioration at C6-C7 but radiculopathy not likely. They discovered an arachnoid cyst which I had further analyzed on a brain MRI. The brain MRI showed a cyst 2.6 x 2.8 x 4.7 left retrocerebellar, extraaxial. I thought there was cross-over and a left brain problem caused right side paralysis, so I'm wondering if there is a connection here at all. Any thoughts?
I think I wanted to post this on a doctor mediated forum - Brain Tumor forum. ?? I'm awaiting an appointment with a neurosurgeon - aways out because I have no health insurance right now and have to save money before I can see the doctor. Was hoping to get SOME INPUT from people who have experience with brain cysts, or maybe one of the doctors who mediate these forums.... Please advise, I'm new to MedHelp & don't know how to navigate, etc.
your doing fine with navigating.:)! are your cyst mm's or cm's? i was just diagnosed with a 2cm by 1.2cm choroid plexus cyst and i have severe visual problems and headaches. i was first urgently referred to a neuro guy who said no big deal and theres no way my cyst could be causing my problems so now i'm confused and waiting to get in elsewhere.

did your mri say if its got any mass effect at all? and what does your family doc say?
centimeters, sorry. Thanks for responding audra. The radiologist says no significant mass effect. I haven't talked to the doctors yet. Have an appointment next week. I don't understand a lot of the language of the radiology report (despite studying the brain for 5 years, but I studied neurochemistry, not anatomy!).
This is the expert brain tumor forum: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Brain-Tumors/show/269 if you care to post there.

An arachnoid cyst is in the lining around the brain.

I hope your doctor has more to say - not sure about this one.
Yeah - I've been on the Brain Tumor forum but I can't for the life of me see how to post a question on there!!!
Sometimes they restrict the number of posts. You may have to wait a while. There have been quite a few people here with cysts, but I don't know any with your exact symptoms hence why few have responded.

Did you get copies of the MRI, report and any labs so you can see what was done and the results for yourself?
Yes - I received a nifty interactive CD of my MRI and the radiologist's report.
Kewl! So you can look up the exact medical terms on google (or the search engine of your choice) from the report, and look at the CD yourself. Usually the CD too has a zoom feature too so you can zoom in on the cyst when you find it. You can usually use ctrl-C and make a copy of the pic and post them on here on your profile in pics and that way the doc can look at them.  

When is your appointment?
Carrie--your symptoms could be caused by the AC.   The location of the  cyst in the left side of your brain is only part of the equation when it comes to causing symptoms.  There are parts of the brain in the cerebellar region that control left-sided movements and right-sided movements.  I have a 5cmx5cmx9cm subarachnoid Cyst over my Cerebellum and Midbrain.  I'll get back to on the smaller parts of the brain that may be impacted in your case.  I have to go find my literature/reference material.
IMMENSE THANKS for your help with this, Rumpled & RSOX34! I'm seeing my pain doctor on Friday & they have a neurosurgeon on the team so I am hoping they will give me some info then...but they haven't been informative YET so I won't hold my breath! I'll try to get a bead on the cyst on the CD images & copy some here -- I'll admit I'm a bit lost on them so far. I used to be fairly bright, but long acting opiates make learning difficult.