Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Astrocytoma grade II
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Astrocytoma grade II

Hi. I am suffering from diffuse astrocytoma brain tumor, grade II. The tumor has developed in the thinking side of my brain. Doctors are saying surgery would be risky in my case as the tumor is quite deep inside.I am also being told that my survival rate is just 5 years. I want to know about the treatments available other than surgery. I have also heard about tomotherapy treatment which is an advanced version of radiation therapy. I want a complete removal of my tumor. I have even heard that most of the patients suffering from grade IV astrocytoma have got cured completely. Can anyone suggest me a complete cure?? Please let me know about tomotherapy and other treatments availabIe. I would be thankful.
Related Discussions
657231_tn?1390151580
You are on the patient to patient forum. There is also an expert forum where doctors post and perhaps your question is better there.

I have found this information for you:
"Improvements in neuroimaging permit the diagnosis of many low-grade astrocytomas that would not have been recognized previously. Low-grade astrocytomas are, by definition, slow growing, and patients survive much longer than those with high-grade gliomas. Proper management involves recognition, treatment of symptoms (eg, seizures), and surgery, with or without adjunctive therapy. Low-grade astrocytomas are found in both the brain and the spinal cord."

"# In a recent series, taking all patients, the 5-year survival rate ranged from 65-80%, while the 10-year survival rate varied from 20-45%. Several factors influence survival. For example, the histopathology of the tumor has a clear influence on prognosis. Patients with grade I lesions have better survival rates than those with grade II lesions. Younger age and better performance status at the time of diagnosis also have a positive influence on long-term survival.
# The type of therapy received also influences outcome. Total resection has been shown in numerous studies to be associated with better survival rates than other therapeutic modalities. This is partially due to the fact that complete resection is more easily accomplished in well-circumscribed, slower-growing tumors. However, sound oncologic principles also suggest that cytoreduction offers benefit. Radiation probably prolongs survival in patients whose tumors are resected incompletely. However, the survival advantage conferred by chemotherapy remains to be demonstrated clearly."

From what I read, surgery is the usual treatment - with a radiation follow up.

There are other factors here, size and location of tumor, your previous health etc. You may want to get a few opinions.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Pain Tracker
Pain
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1098165_tn?1340760837
Blank
Melissa_71 commented on When you don't l...
21 hrs ago
922048_tn?1387946184
Blank
Sherri90049 commented on When you don't l...
Sep 27
296076_tn?1371338074
Blank
When you don't love your husba...
Sep 27 by melimeli
Top Cancer Answerers
657231_tn?1390151580
Blank
rumpled
Northern, NJ
7734321_tn?1393763564
Blank