Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Brain cyst vs. Alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Brain cyst vs. Alcohol

My question is fairly simple. I have been a heavy drinker for 3 years. 2 years ago i started having pressure like symptoms on my brain.  Got a cat scan.  Doctor said i have an arachnoid cyst on left temporal lobe of brain.  Doctor said go home dont worry bout it. Symptoms persisted for 2 more weeks, I thought i was gonna die, then .. they were gone.  1 year ago i quit drinking.  by the third day i was feeling better until .. the symptoms returned with a vengeance.  I continued drinking and symptoms left .. 3 days ago i stopped drinking .. today .. symptoms are back.  Does that mean i have to drink for the rest of my life or will it normal out when the alcohol withdrawl (withdrawal) is gone?  
Please get copies of the CT scan report and if possible, a CD of the CT scan. Then read the report. If you find anything on the report that says you need an opinion, please seek it out.

As with anything up there, it can be location, or size - and you don't have a lot of information. So to have symptoms and to have a known issue - well, it is not out of the question to go back and have another look at the cyst.

In general, people are born with that type of cyst and it can grow slowly over time. It is difficult to tell to be honest what would be a symptom of the cyst and what would be the alcohol - so you really need to consult a doctor to get the cyst treated. A cyst can fill and empty - so it may not stay static all the time.
Heyy thanks for they help. It seems your like the wannabe MD for this forum and help alot of ppl.  Soo as it turns out 3 days after I dried out i.e. quit alcohol my cyst stopped throbbing.  So i guess it was going through withdraws as well.  Im totally back to normal now.  THANKS!
There is a MD forum... I have my own problems - I don't need to be doc LOL! Hope you feel better soon.
I had a seizure in April 2014 after a weekend out socialising with friends. The doctors put this down to excessive drinking, poor diet and lack of sleep. I had another seizure a couple of months later following a night out with friends and another a few months later. I got referred to a clinic at a local hospital where the doctor said I drank too much but did a CT scan and found an arachnoid cyst but said it had nothing to do with the seizures and was fine. I guess what im wondering could it be possible that the cyst mixed with alcohol causes seizures. I have an appointment with a neurologist next week and im trying to figure out questions to ask..Any help would be great thanks in advance!
I hope the neuro is helpful and sorry for the delay, I was sick.

It may be, my guess, that your drinking is dehydrating...

The cyst is an issue depending on location and size - so it is good you are following up. A lot of people post about them. You were likely born with it which is why the doc is not so concerned but as a patient eh... I would not be so happy.

Get copies of your hospital tests and I hope you get some answers and post back.
Pain Tracker
Pain
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status
melimeli commented on krichar's status
Surgery4dad commented on life after brain tumo...
Aug 31