Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Brain tumor question...??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Brain tumor question...??

Hello, I am 29 years old healthy active male. I was in the ER a few weeks ago for supraventicular tachycardia, which is a fast heart rate...etc.. nothing life threatening ..Anyways in April 2010 I had a brain MRI with and without contrast that came back negative.... I went to see a neurologist because I thought I felt dizzy sometimes, of balance, forehead felt compacted..slight pain in head...etc... Anyways...I have a history with sinus problems.. post nasal drip, always stuffed up nose, and things of that nature... Right now I feel like my equal Librium is off balance, and feel stuff up in the forehead, just slightly dizzy a couple times... I do not know if its all the stress from having this heart rate thing now SVT. and going for a ablation to correct it, or sinuses... or something else? Since I had a negative MRI in April 2010..what you think?  thank you for your time....appreciated.
You are asking other patients, not doctors - just so you know.

Sinus issues can cause the whole dizzy thing and if you have a chronic issue that is not well controlled, well, you probably need to see an ENT and get a full evaluation.

Did you get a copy of the MRI report? That would show the sinus issues there too - but a clear MRI kinda clears most things plus the evaluation that a doctor would have done.

Did you get a full work up on the heart issue? Did they find a cause?
yes it is called SVT, you can look it up I would explain but im short on time right now.  So a clean MRI not even 2 years ago would be fine you think?
It could be that sinus or other issues have cropped (or are more pronouced now). That MRI was in 2010. That was a while ago? In addition SVT can cause some of the issues that you are talking about too. Maybe after you have your procedure and then if there are still issues after this you could see an ENT or neuro?
Horselip
I just had my eye exam also today..and behind my eyes was perfect, you know how they check for tumors that way if something is pressing on the optic nerve... thats were I get little pressure forehead...
Well that is good. It does take a very well placed or  larger adenoma to affect the optic nerve. I doubt that you have one, but you never know.

See how the ablation goes and take it from there. That's my advice-
Horselip
.
       I had high TSH thyroid a year ago when I got a yearly exam. I came back a week later to do to thyroid tests and they came back good. I mean should i get another MRI?
what percentage would looking behind the eyes count for brain tumors out of 100%?
I don't know the percentages, sorry. Maybe you can look it up? and let us know..

The high TSH means that you could be hypothyroid. It is best to have this confirmed by having a Free T3 and Free T4 done to confirm. Also it is important to note whether you have any low thyroid symptoms? Do you?

I rec that you get copies of all of the lab tests. Many times the patient is in range but barely or even low but the doc says you are ok. Most thyroid folks feel best when they are in the upper third of the reference range.
Horselip
If you had low TSH combined with low FT3 and FT4 then you would be looking at a possible hypopituitary situation. Then I would say that you should ask for a full panel of the pituitary lab tests and a new MRI.
Horselip
Forehead pressure, to me, sounds more sinus. If you look at pics, you will see you have sinuses all over your face and that can cause a lot of pressure. There can also be tension headaches, migraines, cluster etc. Headaches come in all sorts of forms that are not brain tumors. My cousin who does have a cancerous brain tumor did not get a headache - so it is not always a symptom.

When they look into your eyes, they are checking the retina and the optic nerve. They could see a bulge if something was up and send you on to someone else. I would really try ENT next - rule out the most obvious sources. The ENT can order scans too.
  Hello again.... I do not have any headaches or migraines... I just have front head pressure, in forehead, slightly dizzy/off balance... plus behind my eyes was fine..... what you think??????
You are probably hypothyroid and have sinus pressure. But might be obsessing a bit that you might have a brain tumor.

Your MRI has shown anything and your labs are not pointing to anything else.... from the info that you've given.

What do you think? And if it is different from what I am suggesting, what do you think that you should do?
Horselip
  Well I am going for my yearly exam with blood/urine work Feb 1st. we ill see about tsh/thyroid again. Everything else for the past years is wonderful, thank God. I also has that MRI w/wo contrast Apr.2010....came back negative. I eat extremely well with antioxidant foods, many people do not even know about...I work out and play tennis, biking..so yeah thats a little over view of everything not to go off base. Just seems like I said before though forehead pressure/tightness... dizzy/off balance feelings.. but no headaches/vomiting/ ....          What other symptoms do brain tumors have what are the top 3?
We are not doctors - and while you can look at sites and get symptom lists - people are simply going to vary. A clean MRI is a really good sign.

The fact that you are so active and eat healthy will always be a positive. Headaches are a symptom of so many things that it has to be evaluated carefully for cause - but most are benign - aka not a tumor.
even a mri from april 2010????
i have a brain tumor with absolutely no symptoms. I have another tumor where the only symptom was loss of vision. I feel there are no classic signs of a brain tumor because it depends on the location, size, and type. Like Rumpled said, a clean MRI is a great step, especially if it was with and without contrast. Still, I can see why you are frustrated and want answers. Hopefully your physical will give you some of those answers, or at least a direction to go in.
  So when the eye Dr. looked behind my eyes and said it was clear and good within the optic nerve that would x out the chance of a pituitary tumor..because if you had a pituitary tumor it would effect the optic nerve right?
Large pituitary tumors effect the optic nerve - if they grow up that way. Some grow down into the cavernous sinus.

If you are able to work out, play tennis etc... that kinda tells me that you are not suffering from the typical fatigue, depression and other typical symptoms that come with pituitary issues. Dizzy and headaches are just not symptoms that are cannot pinpoint something right off... it will take testing and you have to rule out the most common things first. Brain tumors are simply not the first thing to think off and you have had a lot of things to rule them out.
  So what if I go to the ER ...will they give me a MRI ? even if I say I have bad headaches, dizziness, etc..?
  Another thing I will be going for my yearly psychical Weds.. both my regular Dr and the nuero  one work out of the same facility pronger and smith. Would he be able to send me for an MRI??? my regular Dr?
  I just scheduled an appointment for Monday with my neurologist I seen almost 2 yrs ago and gave me an MRI...Will he order another one since it is 2 yrs old now almost?  
MRI's are very expensive. I suspect that unless they have good reason to suspect something, they probably won't order one. I agree with the suggestion to try an ENT. If they have a reason to suspect a tumor, they could always order an MRI.
I agree with TBH... unless there is good reason...

There has to be a reason. Have you seen an ENT?
last question? what are the odds of a white male in their 20's getting brain tumor? that's healthy and eats great? no ent Iam going to nuero doc and then regular doc mon and weds next week.  
I found a site that said 13.8% of all brain cancers were diagnosed under 20 - and the mortality rate is .03%. The stats are not broken out by diet etc. That would include pediatric cancers as well.

Still think based on your symptoms an ENT is your best option.
   Hello, today I went to the Neuro Dr. and he gave me an exam and he said I did very well on all the stuff. Balance was great, visuals, walking forward/backward, counting, math, remembrance, and eye function. I also will be going for a CAT scan of my brain he wanted to do for precautions. What do you think about this???? thanks
  Hello I have been reading about radiation from cat scans now.... I called back and left a message for the Dr. via the nurse about me wanting an MRI instead of the cat scan... I have a thyroid problem which I do now, and had some thyroid issues in the past...Wonder what the Dr will say...What you think?
CT scans are much cheaper than MRI scans - so with no real call for a scan, it is easier to get a CT by insurance than an MRI. I have thyroid problems - have for years - and I get CT scans. The issue is the allergy to iodine. As long as you drink a lot after the scan/contrast, you can usually flush the contrast out pretty well.

They will ask you about thyroid and other issues when you go for the scan.
Hey there
Good to hear that the testing so far, is not showing anything serious. My ENT prefers to use CAT scans as they show bone and structure better than MRIs. For soft tissue stuff MRIs are better. Given that you had the one MRi, I think that a CAT scan might be good to compare with it. It might give a more complete "picture" having one of each. an MRI can always be ordered afterwards if they feel that the CAT scan brings up questions re soft tissue issues. So, if I were you, I would go for it. and then heed Rumpleds advice re the water etc. It has been the cat scans that have shown defects in my skull base that MRIs did not show.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Horselip
   Would this cat scan show a brain tumor also?  I read about after being exposed to radiation take in a lot of chlorella, spirulina, and teas...
A CAT scan could show a tumor. It would depend on the size and where it is exactly. MRIs are a little better with smaller adenomas which are soft tissue. Pit tumors are diagnosed using a combination of things such as your clinical symptoms, lab tests, MRIs and CAT scans. Scans of all types can miss tumors that are smalll. Because you have such a solid history of sinus issues that you would do a disservice to yourself to overlook that this is possibly causing your symptoms.

In you initial post you asked folks what they think. This is my opinion. You seem like you want someone to say " You have a brain tumor" and you need an MRI. But I just don't think this from what you have stated and your symptoms. I have sinus issues and pituitary problems. My sinus and inner ear probs are cause almost the exact same symptoms that you are having.

My pituitary symptoms are hormonal things like mood, sex drive, weight gain,  fatigue, hypothyroid stuff  dry hair and skin. sleep issues etc.

That's my two cents for what it is worth.

feel better!
Horselip
   Hello all... I went for my yearly exam this morning. I had blood work and urine work done and the Dr said it was all great the entire panel....excellent. the only thing that did not come back was the thyroid numbers, which will come within the next day. I am still waiting to get my cat scan also...So would this be good news to not having a tumor? having a clean blood work panel?? thanks
You should ask for a copy of the lab work, when it is all ready. Sometimes docs say everything is good and then when you see the labs for yourself you might see things that are off. But yes as long as your doc ran some of the pituitary labs and they are good, that is a very good sign.
Horselip
  Yes I have a copy and everything is fine....the only thing Im waiting for is the thyroid results... Also, I ma getting an MRI now because I do not want the radiation from CT scan in me. Another question? What about me having MS??? I mean the Neuro doctor said I did great on my exam he gave me, and there is no history in my family either. And one more thing on the looking behind my eyes.. he said it was good behind my eyes, with that being said does that x out many brain tumors by having a clear behind the eye and no swollen optic nerve????? thx
My tumor was compressing and displacing my optic nerve. My neuro opthamologist could not see it on any of her tests. I did have other visual symptoms though.
The optic nerve issue would only come up if the tumor is near the optic nerve and as we can see with TBH... it is not a perfect test.

MS often shows up with white spots on the brain - but most of them are not out playing tennis etc. to the best of my knowledge as it can effect gait, stamina etc.

Let us know how it goes.
Hello, so if you had a brain tumor in the front were your forehead would have pain and got a clean behind the eyes exam would this x out brain tumor? I mean my pain right now is left forehead above eye into forehead and little on left side....so from having nothing or pressure behind my eyes this would in fact not be able to be a tumor there???? just to clarify ..thanks
We are not doctors - and not even a doctor can or would diagnose over the internet with so little information.

You are active. You have a headache - which is a very non-specific symptom (aka it can be attibruted to a lot of things minor to major - I would hazard a guess that the majority being minor).

You are under the care of a doctor and you are going to get a scan if you have not - what you have done would reasonably rule out any tumors. Not every tumor causes a headache anyway. Lots of other things do. To make so many questions and all over a headache NOT a tumor and asking the same questions over and over - perhaps you need an evaluation for anxiety?
My tumors did not cause headaches. My sinus problems cause headaches just like you describe though. Have you seen an ENT? Sounds like your issues could be helped with an ENT. Just because you don't have a runny nose doesn't mean you don't have sinus inflammation. I was also wondering if perhaps you need to see someone for anxiety.
We brought up ENT a long time ago as he first brought up sinus issues... good idea TBH!
Why not check out this forum
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Migraines--Headaches/show/123
i know. I just thought perhaps if a third person reiterated an idea that seems like a logical step, he may consider it before subjecting himself to expensive diagnostic procedures that also expose him to radiation.
I have decided to ignore your posts now. I agree that you might benefit from getting your anxiety under better control.

I've  thought carefully and took time to respond to you. I think that I have given you very good info (as have many others) and yet you keep cycling over and over on the same stuff and yet ignore advice.given.

It's like when someone asks you how to get to the store and you say, go straight ahead for three blocks and it will be on the right side of the street. But then the person turns left?....after asking three different people.Whoa
Good luck
Horselip
I have a pituitary tumor and no one saw it on a eye exam.  It is behind both eyes causing lots of trouble and quite large so it can't be said that a eye doc will see it.  They check my eyes all the time and she can't see it but the MRI does.  The MRI  has to be done with contrast.  You could have something as simple as swimmers ear that would give you vertigo.  See a ENT and they might be able to figure it out.  Vertigo is no fun so I can see why your concerned.  
I just stumbled on this as I suffer from Chronic-Type Tension Headaches. If you have the same symptoms as before + a negative MRI 2 years ago means you do not have a tumor. What you have is anxiety or high levels of stress (maybe both). In my case, I had uncontrollable Tension Headaches due to a high stress job. I didn't like anxiety meds due to the side-effects, my neuro recommended addressing my stress first then both anxiety and stress would subside. He suggested I get regular massages, plenty of exercise, eat healthy, consider a job change and get plenty of rest. It worked, I still get headaches but they are not nearly as bad as the ones I used to get and my stress level is really low.

just my two cents.
Actually for me the combination of tachycardia and slightly odd thyroid levels indicates that you could well have a pituitary tumour. A rare kind of pituitary tumour called a TSH-oma secretes thyroid-stimulating hormone and can give you tachycardia but normal or near-normal thyroid hormone blood test results; sometimes they secrete different levels of hormones at different times. I know, because this is the kind of tumour I have! I had the exact same experience, I ended up in hospital with a very fast heartrate and no-one could work out why.

A contrast MRi is a good idea, but there are cases of people having very tiny but quite active pituitary tumours which don't show up well or at all on scans. Your endocrinologist could diagnose this condition with a TSH suppression test, in which they give you a high dose of thyroid hormone and see if your body is able to suppress your TSH levels or not.

Alternatively another possibility is a condition called resistance to thyroid hormone, which presents with similar symptoms. These conditions are quite rare but they are also very underdiagnosed as a lot of doctors haven't heard of them. It took me a year from my tachycardia beginning to getting a diagnosis.

Anxiety and stress are symptoms of screwy thyroid levels; for a good while, I was dismissed as being stressed or anxious as well. Your headaches sound like pituitary tumour headaches, but there are other possible causes and this isn't the only one, it's just that you should be aware of the possibility.

Sorry this is a massive post! If you want to find out more, or even ask me a question or whatever, I blog about my pituitary tumour and related conditions at http://www.pituitaryademoaner.blogspot.com

Remember, it's quite possible that you are totally fine, sometimes heart problems are brought on by anxiety disorder, or are just entirely idiopathic. But you should get thoroughly checked out.