Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Can Brain Tumors be Hereditary???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Can Brain Tumors be Hereditary???

Just wondering if anyone has read anything that indicates if certain types of tumors are hereditary. Three months ago my 8-week-old son died from a brain tumor - gliosarcoma, grade 4. Almost three years ago, my first cousin died from some type of glioma - not sure which type. My husband and I want to have another baby but, obviously, we don't want the same thing to happen again. It was unexpected, and our son had no symptoms until the day he was diagnosed - he passed away the next day. Up until then he was happy and healthy and growing appropriately. If there is a chance that the brain tumor is hereditary, we won't have another child. Thanks for any information any of you  may have...

Tricia
I found this definition on line:
"Gliosarcoma Links
    Rare mixed tumors of the brain and rarely the spinal cord which contain malignant neuroectodermal (glial) and mesenchymal components, including spindle-shaped fibrosarcoma cells. These tumors are highly aggressive and present primarily in adults as rapidly expanding mass lesions. They may arise in tissue that has been previously irradiated. (From Br J Neurosurg 1995 Apr;9(2):171-8)"

I have had three members of my family with brain tumors (on mother and father sides), so I understand your fear - and you should discuss with your doctor the likelihood of cancer and about it being passed to another child.

I have, and since I have had a couple of pituitary tumors which have left me debilitated, my docs have basically told me that the tumors in my family are not inherited directly, however, that there is something in some people that makes that more likely to develop tumors and that is not understood at this time.

I would in your case consult with your son's records with a geneticist so that you have some comfort.