Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Cavernous haemangioma
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cavernous haemangioma

5603927?1272009434
I have been having trouble for over eight months with legs, arms, neck and face becoming paralyzed, not always all areas at once, conciousness is retained throughout, (i have since read up on focal seziures which sound eerily similar). Recent migraines, with lots of stars zooming everywhere like when you do a million back hip circles, I've been told this is called an aura. Vibrating in my stomach.

Major symptoms (paralysis/vibration) are relieved and often prevented by wearing flight socks and compression bandages, lying flat, or at least sitting with legs up, progesterone cream helps, and so does to OCP, I finally figured out that progesterone is a neuro-steroid today used to treat brain injuries.

Major symptoms are usually brought on by extremes in temperature, changes in pressure (going down a mountain, flying in a plane), exercise, or extended car travel (over 2 hours).

Back in 2000 i had a similar issue with my right arm becoming paralyzed for 3 hours, followed by fainting about 6 hours later. Cavernous haemangioma was first seen then. In 2006 it was 13mm.

Why is skydiving on the "avoid" list for people with cavernous haemangiomas?

I wasn't aware of this and went skydiving about 10 months prior to start of current symptoms. If it was related surely I would have had symptoms straight away. I am a huge theme park junkie and used to love the rush, however the skydiving made me feel very queezy and disorientated, now that I think about it I also had some bleeding behind my left knee, I thought I had clipped a twig on the landing.

On the flight home I went stiff as a board except for my left leg and when I recovered I found a huge bruise behind my left knee.

The thing is every neurologist I have talked to about this have all said that it is fine, it is normal, it's all psychosomatic. The cavernous haemangioma is bengin and is not affecting any of the surrounding tissue.

I'm due for another MRI after my EEG in two weeks.

It's been eight months with a slight remission of symptoms with daily use of a neuro-steroid, of which I am requiring higher and higher doses.

Can neurologists/radiographers ever be wrong?

What else should I be looking out for?

Can a cavernous haemangioma ever be fatal? And at what warning signs should I call an ambulance?

Thanks.

August 2009 MRI report

History: Known left frontal lesion. Recent right sided weakness and parasthesia ?Stroke

Technique: Axial T1 weighted, T2 weighted, DWI, FLAIR, SWI. MRA using time of flight
technique. Gadolinium enhanced 3D SPGR sequences.

Findings: There is approximately 17mm diameter, slightly irregular T1 hypo intense and T2
hyper intense lesion containing septations located adjacent to the frontal horn of the left lateral
ventricle. Some calcification is present in the lesion. This has been documented previously.
There are no other similar lesions intracranially. There are no other areas of abnormal signal.
No hydrocephalus. No midline shift. There are no areas of restricted diffusion.

There are no normal flow voids in the cerebral vasculature. The MRA study shows normal
appearance of the vascular structures at the circle of Willis.

Comment: Old cystic/calcified lesion in the left frontal lobe which has been documented on the
recent CT scan as well as on previous imaging. No other intracranial abnormality. In particular,
there is no evidence of a recent CVA.