Chronic Headache
Last year, I developed a headache along the back of my head that radiated up my right side of my head. The doctor said it was a tension headache. It lasted for a month and then was gone. I had a membership to a spa and had massages about 3 days each week. About a year to date, the headaches returned. they returned around a high stress period; my son was hospitalized. I should add I'm frequently on the computer (writer) with my head bent down and working with my 2 1/2 year old son who is disabled.

Massage brings relief, as does PT which the doctor determined would be beneficial. I've been in therapy for 2 weeks but the headaches are still present. It isn't really painful. Just nagging. I can trace a path up the base of my bottom right skull and it travels up my head. Now it's moved to my temple sometimes....now that feels like pain...not the other sensations on my head. I have since seen another MD who agreed it was a tension headache. I saw a neurologist who wasn't concerned (thanks), the PT, a chiropractor who all aren't concerned it's a brain tumor. My question is...would I know from this headache if it were a tumor?! Would massage bring relief if it were  a tumor? Would occipital massages take away the sensation if it were a tumor?

Why am I the only one concerned about a tumor?!

Regards,
Christina
Your posting with layman and there is an expert forum too, but having had a few family members with brain tumors I can tell you that headaches are not always a symptom. My cousin that is currently battling a cancerous tumor never got a headache.

If the docs hear your lifestyle and your stress levels, it is pretty understandable that you would have a tension headache and if you look that up, it is pretty much described how you say it. As well, if you had a tumor that caused headaches, nothing is going to make it go away after a while to my thinking save taking away the mass effect issue - as in removing the tumor. The neuro is also looking for other symptoms in your reflexes, gait and other signs - you must not have those.

You can go see an eye doc who can check your eyes and optic nerves too for a further check but if you look here - I think most posts are "I have a headache I think I have a brain tumor"...
Hiya-
Sorry that your getting these headaches. Unfortunately headaches are very common. More common that brain tumors. Also headaches can be a pain. Seriously if you are in pain you should ask to be referred to pain management (PM). They will look to treat your pain but the good ones also try to figure out why you are having it.

There is a great forum for headaches sufferers here on Medhelp. http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Migraines--Headaches/

If after you read the posts in the other forum and you are still worried that you might have a brain tumor, tell your doctor.  (Well you should do that anyway) With pituitary tumors they test your hormones first. So to ease your mind that your doctor could run testing for your thyroid, prolactin, and sex hormones. If these show irregularities then it could justify ordering an MRI.

I suffer  from a constant headache. I used to have a pituitary tumor. My headache began after my surgery to remove it. So my treatment is very much like what another headache sufferer would get. It's just that they know exactly what nerve and what area is damaged and causing the pain.

Horselip
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR DETAILED POSTS! I'm actually headache free for 7 days today! and my PT sessions and stretches have been amazing for my neck and traps which they believed to be the source of my discomfort from lifting my son!
Glad you are feeling better!