Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Cortrosyn stimulation test ACTH?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Cortrosyn stimulation test ACTH?

I finally got the dr's to do the cortrosyn stimulation test.  The test came back normal except that my cortisol was below normal at the baseline according to my doctor.  I will not get my written report for a week yet so I do not have the reference ranges. These are my results:
Baseline
16   10-60 ACTH
7.7   cortisol below normal range
18    cortisol15 min mark
21    cortisol 30 min mark
19    cortisol 45 min mark
2.7   TSH  0.5 - 5.0
1.4    FT4  0.8 - 1.8
My question is if my cortisol is low can that be a sign that maybe the adrenal is not working properly although it did respond to the call or could it mean the pituitary doesn't work. Does this look normal to you guys?
This is a new endo for me and he is also going to do blood work and CT scan for Conn's syndrome/Hyperaldosteronism but I have to wait 6 weeks because I've been taking Spironolactone for my blood pressure.  I am on 3 meds for blood pressure that still needs more and my potassium is on the low side even with Spironolactone. For the last year I've been working out 5 days a week for 1 hour + lost 30lbs but I'm still exhausted and some days thats all I get done.  My blood pressure never changed except to go up some in the last year.
If you remember me Rumple my pit tumor is at 5mm from my last mri in Jan 2012.
I do remember you!!!

Your TSH is too high... but IHMO your doc only ran the cruddy useless panel that tells not much - so without much data, hard to really tell much on the thyroid. Have you had any antibody testing, ultrasounds or free T3, T4 testing?

On the stim test - the doc is probably going to call it a pass - you did double your baseline. It was not a spectacular rise, but you did rise. I have never heard of spiro for BP - I have low BP and I take florinef!  What are your renin and aldosterone readings? If your K is low, are you also pushing sodium - as that will or should make the K rise? I know I have to push Na for that reason.

I took spiro for a while - I hated it...
Last year my TSH was 3.0 but my FT4 was 1.1.  They did antibody testing 4 years ago they did TPO and that was .5 and the range was 5.0 or over I think that was the range. No FT3 or T4 testing.  I asked my old endo why not a conversation problem and she said I would have been born with it and I would have known about a long time ago.  I think when I go back in 6 wks I'll push for more antibody testing because isn't there TSI and TGab?  My son and grandmother have hashi and an aunt with Graves.

The renin and aldosterone test will be done in 6 weeks after I'm off of the spironolactone for that period of time.  Spironolactone blocks the aldosterone.  Actuallly if I remember right I feel better on it then off of it. I've been on it for almost 10 years now and my memory's nut the best anymore.  My sodium is in the normal range but on the low side sometimes.  I do crave salt sometimes and find myself eating a lot of pickles or green granny smith apples and would love to put salt on them but know I can't because of my blood pressure.  They are also going to do a CT scan of my adrenals at that time too.

I'll keep you posted.  They decided not to do an MRI until next year so they are skipping this year.  As of Jan 2012 the tumor was a 5mm and was the same in 2011.  I suppose unless they find something.
Yeah you only know if someone tests for it and tells you about it (for instance, I told my docs it ran in my family, and they found out during my first thyroid surgery that I had Hashimoto's, but they neglected to tell me so I had no idea for another 19 years...).

All the tests are separate so you have to get all the tests run.

I had no idea about that function of spiro - I was put on it as a PCOS meds (which was probably a bad idea in retrospect - no wonder I did not tolerate it). I take florinef which is an aldosterone substitute as I need more! It is supposed to control hair and other stuff - plus make you lose weight... I just felt awful on it.

So you have high BP? Mine is low... odd you crave salt with high BP?