Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Desperate/scared/confused?!?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Desperate/scared/confused?!?

Last year (my first MRI) showed abnormal signals with expansion in the superior gurus of the left frontal lobe. Suggesting a very-slow growing neoplasm such as a low-grade glioma. I seen a neurosurgeon who said it was benign and suggested that we just watch it. Throughout the last few years I have been suffering from Severe migraines. I have taken different blood-pressure medications, antidepressants, anti-inflammatories, beta blockers, Seizure medications, supplements, pain killers, and receive Botox injections every 3 months ( i am sure i missed something). One of the medications even caused me to lose my short term memory ( i am a full-time student). My migraines will last for months at a time.  Over the last year I have been hospitalized on numberous occasions and my sensitivity to smell is far beyond anything you can fathom. Smells now cause and increase the severity of the migraine. I also often suffer from nausea and vomit. My neurologist insists that this thing in my brain has absolutely no relation to the migraines at all. Additionally, I resently had another MRI done and it reads that there has been no substantial change in the T2/flare hyperintence expansion of the superior gyrus of the left frontal lobe, which may reflect cortical dysplasia versus low-grade neoplasm. From what I have read on the cortical dysplasia the majority of people diagnosed are children and suffer from seizures. I am a 30 year old female and have never had a seizure in my life. I am so confused and scared  as how to proceed with all this. I feel that they should know what this thing is!!! As I understand it is not aggressive now but does that mean that it will always be like that? I also feel that my neurologist likes to throw medications at me like candy. I seen him today and I got 4 new scripts. One of which is an anti nausea but he gave it to me in a pill form. So if I am nauseous or vomiting a pill is not even going to work. So I don't know what to do. I am so confused.
Do you have the option for a second opinion? If so, I would go for it.

There are anti-nausea suppositories LOL... I take the pills as well - and surprisingly, they work fast so I have only lost a couple. I would also keep ginger tea around and ginger (real ginger) candies - that can help too when you are in the throes of a vomit fest.

Seizures can vary - so they can be subtle as well. Of course, what you said is *majority* so diseases can vary. I would hunt for a specialist in the disorder - look for papers - and someone who writes them, write him/her and see if you can see the doc or send records.

If just may or may not be something else - also the expert here reviews records for free - contact him and send in your records. As a surgeon they see more.
At this point I have no clue what the diagnosis is. That is the interpretation from the radiologist. So at this time I am not sure that it is appropriate to find a specialist?!?! I am new to all of this.  I have not seen my Neurosurgen yet. And I seriously dislike my neurologist!!! He kind of bit my head off the other day because when I was giving his intern a history and I told the intern I had a glioma. Which was/is my diagnosis until I am told otherwise.  I do not want to diagnose myself based on a radiology report I have no clue how to read. So annoyed!!!!!! So I think I will be getting that second opinion by default (switching doctors)! Thank you. And I have a post out to the expert now also. Thanks
I would find a specialist as the radiologist report is just an opinion and they can be very correct or they can be really wrong - so it is important to find a competent doctor and I would find a surgeon to read the films as well as they are better at it. My neuro cannot read films - some can, most cannot I think.

Keep us posted and hope you get good news.
Pain Tracker
Pain
sherry301e79 joined this community
Welcome them!
Jun 24
melimeli commented on specialmom's status
Jun 22
melimeli commented on spider6's status
Jun 22