Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
FEVER AFTER BRAIN TUMOR SURGERY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

FEVER AFTER BRAIN TUMOR SURGERY

hi,
  My father underwent a brain tumor(diagonised as benin meningioma) surgery 2 weeks ago.one day after the surgery he caught fever and the doctors said it was to do with infection in the blood  and urine as the blood count was above 15000 and the urine contained PUS cells.He has been given antibiotics for more than 10 days now and that has decresed the blood count and the pus cells .Though the fever upperlimits is come down to a range 99 to 99.8 F he still gets the fever a min of twice in a day that lasts for an hour or so.and when ever he get the fever he loses his ability to understand clearly to what is said to him and  he urinates on the bed too..but with no fever he acts completely narmal.
* Can some one help me understand how normal this case is?
* how long wil it take for the fever to vanish if at all it is due to the infection?
* what else could be the cause of this fever? could it be caz of the surgerical procedure?
* what all should i ask the surgeons to check for?
   I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for this. Your father's body is still healing from the stress of surgery if it was just 2 weeks ago, so perhaps this will correct itself with time, and good immune support.

Definitely stay on top of this, though. Let his doctors know every time his fever flares up.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
i had a crainotomy 2yrs ago and i keep a temp of 99.8 all the time. i keep a low grade fever every day . my surgen said my hypotlamus was damanged by the pressure of my tumor. i cant stay in the heat it makes me sick and feel like im gona pass out. that is just my experance ,but before i never got above 98.1 unless i was sick. i would talk to his doctor and have him tested to see if he did have another infection.