Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
GH Producing Tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

GH Producing Tumor

I have been diagnosed with 19 mm functional macroadenoma that is producing growth hormone. I have high IGF-1 levels and low LH levels. How do I make sure that the advice I am getting is appropriate. From all I can read, it seems that I have acromegaly. Is surgery still the best option or should one try to shrink it with meds? If I need to go for surgery, how do I find an expert neurosurgeon (someone who has done at least 400-500 successful procedures)?

Any and all help will be very appreciated.

Thanks.
High GH is called acromegaly. It used to be that surgery was the only option, but new medications have been approved.
Somatostatin is the latest, but there are clinical trials for other medications.

It may be that because your tumor is large... but geez, they always used to try to shrink the larger say, prolactinomas first before going to surgery.

It really depends on the eyes, the whole case etc. - if you have the option to skip surgery and do meds first, and see if that works then that is a good option. Your tumor is large - did it extend up to the optic nerve or down into the cavernous sinus or what?