Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Help!! Scared I have some kind of brain tumor/cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Hi, I'm 16 years old, and very concerned. Here's my story: First of all, it all started a few weeks ago.. well, to be precise, it began on the day of Michael Jackson's death, a Thursday. (no relevance to that fact whatsoever, that's just how i remember when it began. :P) I got this strange feeling in my head, that i have never experienced in my life before. Now, a week before that, I had a severe panic attack, with symptoms including: feeling of impending doom (like i'm going to die, going to get a heart attack, etc.), rapid heart beat, sweaty, chills, etc. I am prone to getting panic attacks, but have never bothered getting diagnosed by a doctor for panic disorder/anxiety disorder, because the panic attacks really do NOT occur to the point where they are a major disruption in my life.

Now, back to this head issue. I had that strange feeling once on that day, then it went away for two-three days. Then it reoccurred, and stayed for nearly two and a half weeks. (I'll get to the specific details on exact symptoms in a bit). I recently (this past Tuesday) got my wisdom teeth removed, thinking this may be the problem to this strange feeling in my head. After their removal, my head felt completely fine for a few days, and I thought the problem was solved. But nope, I was wrong! the strange feeling in my head came back about two days ago.

So, let me tell you exactly what I am experiencing:
-This is the main symptom: Pressure feeling, located in forehead/ top of my head, in the front. Also near temples. It doesn't throb, and is not affected at all by the light, like a migraine might be. It's just there. Like somebody has a weight pressed tight against the area i described where it occurs.

-I'll wake up in the morning, feeling almost completely okay in my head. Then an hour later, my head starts to get that pressure. Gradually over the day, it gets worse. By bedtime it's very frustrating and I find it difficult to sleep because I'm so anxious and worried over it.

-I THINK I'm experiencing a slight, dull ringing in my ears which may sometimes alternate between ears, but i'm not positive. Reading up on brain tumors on other internet sites, i have found that ringing in ears is a symptom, and perhaps that's gotten me only THINKING i have a ringing in my ears..

-I hear my heartbeat in my ears often- I believe this is called.. Tinnitus? I've had this problem long before this strange pressure feeling in my head. So say, for a few years now.

- Occasional upset stomach/nausea. I even vomited once, on July 4th, to be exact.

-A "fullness" feeling in my ears sometimes, like they need to pop.

-Sometimes I'll focus my eyes on one object, and they just don't seem to stay steady on that object. they kind of move around.

Medicines I have taken: Ibuprofen, Exedrin Migraine, Aleve.
I'd take two ibuprofen. Those proved to do nothing.
Exedrin Migraine reduced pressure slightly, but overall, the pressure feeling still remains.
I've taken two Aleve before the head pressure would become worse (So, in the morning i would take two) And this seemed to have good results for a while.. but I tried it today, and it did not work this time.

And.. I believe that's it. I tried making this post as detailed as possible-- sorry for the lengthiness!

PS. I have a feeling some of you may suggest this is TMJ, or something with sinuses. My jaw does NOT click or pop. I even had that looked at by a doctor. He also checked my vision, blood pressure, and ears. All were fine. (This checkup was about two weeks ago). As for sinuses, I typically don't have any sinus issues. Allergies in the springtime. Although, I suppose the area between my eyes, or a little lower, feels a little "stuffed" and it has felt like this for quite a while.

Thank you very much for your patience with reading this lengthy post. I just want some nice, reassuring answers so I can relax a little. I'll likely visit the doctor again if this head pressure persists after my wisdom tooth pain has fully resided.
Could be a migraine, or could be something else. What kind of doctor did you see?
a regular family doctor.
You could see an eye doctor - an eye exam is actually a pretty good first screening for a brain tumor.
As well, since you have ear issues, an ENT may be helpful. A lot of headaches arise from ear issues as well as sinuses - this way the simple things get looked at. Your sinuses may be filling up over the day and that is why your headache increases, for instance - just an idea, no idea.

They always want to rule out the horses before they are on to the zebras - but if you are not happy with your doctor, can you find another one?
I really do not want to add to your worries, but I would strongly suggest you check back with your doctor and carefully describe all of your symptoms.  I hope you have also talked with your parents about how you have been feeling.  

I am a registered nurse and quite a bit older than you are, but I also had started to notice an increased pressure in my head/ears which turned into a pulsing/swishing sound in my ears when I would move from a sitting to standing position.  I waited several months and then finally went to my MD and she sent me for an MRI of the brain.
I was immediately diagnosed with a very large malignant tumor of the brain.  I just want to encourage anyone with these types of symptoms to take them very seriously and see a medical professional for a full evaluation.