Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Hemiplegia in 11yr old boy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Hemiplegia in 11yr old boy

My son suffers from left side temple headaches weekly to fortnightly had MRI SCAN  15 months ago was all normal. Was called to the school this Tuesday 3rd Aug 10 during lunch time because my 11 yr old son had left temple dull headache and numbness  inner thigh area, then left arm from wrist to shoulder became numb and a little weak. Took him home and noticed left side face droop, headache then was on right side temple area, but left side headache gone, my son was conscious and aware of his surroundings. Called Ambulance took him to hospital, where on arrival all symptoms resolved except headache. He was seen by pediatric doctor who did a full nurological exam, and based her diagnoses on the fact that he had normal mri scan 15 months earlier and normal nuro exam said it was more likely complex migraine. Next day was seen by pediatrician who spoke to my son's pediatrician on the phone and both concluded due to previous mri scan being normal and normal nurological exam that they could exclude brain tumor and stroke by 99%. Doctors reasuured me if it was a brain tumor symptoms would not have resolved within 1 hour, symptoms would still be there until treated. They are sending him for EEG as they say it might be mild epilepsy but more so complex migraine. I myself and my daughters have suffered similar symptoms like numb arm, and fingers, or tounge. I was wondering can this happen in a child as I am going crazy thinking the worse. Maybe stroke or tumor. Please help... Regards Kim
This is the patient forum, so to ask doctors, you have to post on the expert forum.

Half-sided headaches are classic for migraines, and a clear MRI is helpful to show that something was not there at least at that time. It sounds like that they are doing more tests to get to the bottom of it.

As for stroke - they are good at they eval since the drugs only work in the first hours so if they suspected it, they would have acted on it. For tumor, see if he is constantly fatigued or has other changes. Let us know how it goes.