Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
How much ddavp should a former pituitary cancer patient take

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

My husband is in the hospital now in Palo Alto. He is on ddvap 2 times a day,  when it used to be 3, along with his hydrocortisone, vit. D, etc. The doctors can't seem to figure out that why my husband is still losing too much water by going to the bathroom too often, and the hospital keeps putting fluids in his body. He used to take the ddvap 3 times a day to help with this situation, now the hospital regulated it to him in pill form only twice a day. It seems that it is contradicting the affect of the ddvap by putting more liquids in his body. He has lost a significant amount of weight, still has some dizziness, and now it seems to have affected his heart. What's the answer? The Doctors don't seem to be communicating to each other about this situation, and its really frustrating to keep hearing they "are working on it, as we try to find a balance." Please help?  
There is no *one* answer.

It can be frustrating - but DI (as well as other hormonal issues) can be complex - and not be stable. I assume they have also checked his aldosterone and renin which regulate potassium and sodium and could also impact fluid regulation and his heart. I know this as sometimes my levels of this become unstable and that I have to change up and down for no reason - or for summer.

If he is *contradicting* he must be thirsty - right? So his DI is driving him to drink so to speak. Is he at a pituitary center - and his doctors at least one is a neuro-endo? Any MRI lately? DI can be centered in the hypothalamus.

Have they tried to restrict liquids - to do testing?