Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Immune Issues & Panhypopit/Hypothalamus Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Anyone out there in our cyberspace community have continuing issues with their immune system being so messed up that they're constantly getting sick with something after their pituitary surgery? I'm just wondering if I'm "unique" or not in the fact since my last pit surgery on Dec 3, 09 I've been sick with some sort of virus or something like that since then on and off. Seems I have very little immune system left to fight anything off. I realize that this can be partially because of being on a steroid replacement. Where I live it's been a bad winter anyway for virus' going around constantly. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me on anything I can do or am I doomed to be constatnly sick with some sort of bug that's going around? If so, I think I may have to go bang my head on a wall because I DO NOT want to be sick with something like this constantly!! Anyone that can toss some thoughts or suggestions my way on this issue? Is it because of the steroid or a combo of that and my body is just messed with with hormonal deficiencies?
I also get sick a lot. I had the flu twice this season - both bad and for a long time. I also get a lot of skin, UTI and well, just about any infection at the drop of a hat. If you look at me crooked, I bruise.

I try to avoid people - as soon as I am around them - WHAM - I get sick. But being a hermit is no fun.

I have not figured out the magic combo - I take vitamins and probiotics etc. but whatever...
Good to hear from you!! Hope you're currently doing as well as you can. How is your family doing? I hope ok. Thanks for posting back on this situation. I figured that you might have some sugegstions of some sort. this "FLU" or whatever it is has been particularly bad where I work which is in a behavioral health Dr's office. I work as a scheduler with at the current time 1 other person but there are people in and out of our office all day so, even though we're in our own office it still doesn't sequester me off from a whole lot. I am just kinda afraid if i'm sick like this all the time I'll start having to miss work and get let go because I can't keep up and be there like I'd need to be. I am making the assumption that because I'm on cortisol replacement that has further supressed my immune system. I totally understand about being a hermit. That's DEFINITELY NO fun at all!! I checked with my current Dr and she either didn't have any suggestions or just read over the portion where I asked for any help/suggestions in bolstering my immune system so, I'd say i'm on my own like it sounds like you are too! I am going to do a LOT of research this weekend and see what I can come up with in figuring out what to do to help myself. I'll let you know if I come up with anything that works. I'm just tired of being sick. Hang in there..stay well and I'm praying for you, your health and family!
I asked my doc too - got a blank look. I went through agony to try to get a flu shot this year too - I am allergic to thimerasol in eye drops and so no one will give me a flu shot so I found a doc to do the patch testing. Well, she decides to patch test me for a bunch of stuff, and to top it off, stick on the patches with tape that I know I am allergic too - which I told her 3 times. She put it on anyway. Needless to say, by that night, my back looked like raw chicken under plastic - red, raw, icky...(those are my lovely hubby's words... *sigh*... I wait the 2 days - go back and she rips the crud off and then has the nerve to tell me I have angry back syndrome [huh? more like docusnolistenus?!] and that I am allergic to everything, including thimerasol.

So anyway, because of that, I need a thimeral-free shot, and I cannot do live due to my auto-immune stuff. I know these shots exist, but my doc cannot seem to put his hands on them.
Just touching base. Looks like you've been a busy lady. What's the weather like there? It's been snowing here today. I'll be SO glad when spring comes. I can't wait! It's been so blasted cold here the past few weeks that I can't seem to get warm. It's like fighting a losing battle. It sounds like you've been through heck and back again with your health over the past few years. I'm kinda afraid that's where mine is heading based on the issues that have been taking place with me. I feel so lost in not knowing what to do and when. What a heck of a mess or as my Mom used to say "A Mell of a Hess!" LOL. I ready above about the tape issue....I have that too. They put the foam type tape on me to hold leads for a Holter Monitor...when they were peeled off it looked like someone had thrown scalding hot water on me where the tape was. Blisters and all! I am at a loss for the immune boosting issue other than doing research and finding out what bolsters immune function and taking it in the way of supplements. You'd think by now they'd have figured out something to give people that would help. I tried wearing the face mask...couldn't stand that very well. Tried staying home from church and other places...didn't like being a hermit and couldn't in order to work. ARGH. What's the answer? Geez, I wish I knew what the answer was to the questions. What happened to us to make us this way?? I don't understand why some folks are so healthy and others seem to fall apart at the seams like me!! UGH. Again, thanks for being there. Any time you need to talk to someone msg me. I'll listen. Maybe if enough of us put our heads together we can come up with a solution of some sort that will help!! Hugs jennifer!