Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Low Prolactin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Low Prolactin

Hi, I am undiagnosed and have been ill for quite a while.

Latest blood work up showed a low level of prolactin. I am not pregnant. My youngest is five - though I did have congestive heart failure 8 days after her birth. No definitive cause. Have never been quite the same since. But Really started to decline about two years ago. Strong history of Thyroid disease in my family, but my tsh levels are o.k.

Can low prolactin alone indicate a pit tumor? Does it suggest any other conditions?

Fever of Unknown Origin since July

45 lb weight loss (105 lbs. 5'4")

painful, terrible headaches behind my eyes, particularly right side

Very heavy periods

Mentle Fog

terrible joint pain, lower back pain, abdominal pain

right sided weakness and pain in arm, hip leg

tingling numbing of hands and feet, Reynaud's Phen.

Levido Reticularis in legs

Dizzy upon standing

Facial Flushing

Neg. ANA and SED rate- Mostly CBC within normal limits, though often anemic

Thank you for your time.

Rose
Did your symptoms arise with the birth of your child?

You could have Sheehan's syndrome - in which your pituitary was damaged during childbirth (I think that since you had heart issues after the birth).

You may be hypopituitary or panhypopituitary and not treated. TSH is well, not the best or only indicator of the thyroid. If that is the only thyroid test the doc is doing, drop him. You need a neuro-endo who will test other hormones like growth hormone, cortisol, renin, aldosterone (those last two effect blood pressure), FH, LSH, DHEA sulfate, etc.
Hi - thank you for answering.  I don't think I have ever been quite the same since the heart failure, but what I would call my acute symptoms didn't start until a couple of years later. Also, I was able to breast feed-also I have very heavy periods.

I have a very strong history of Thyroid disease in my family, but my tsh tests have always been o.k. my FH and LSH was o.k. it was just my prolactin that was low.  Could this be a pituitary tumor with only one abnormally low hormone? My head hurts so much-it is relentless. Strangely, in the last 24 hours (I think I mentioned before that I have lost a lot of weight - my low this month was 105)  anyway, I've gained 5 pounds in the last 24 hours.  I know it is just water weight, but that is strange.  My brain is to fuzzy.  Have to stop.  Thank you so much
There are other tests to be done - IGF-1, ACTH and there are other hormones too that deal with urination if you are having issues.

Is your doc ONLY testing TSH? And what exactly is normal? The new normal or the old version? You need the free T3 and T4 done as well as antibodies done. Weight issues indicate possible adrenal involvement - so get cortisol done (at the proper times, maybe a stim test).

You need a great endo that knows this stuff. A neuro endo - go to a university.
Hi, I've just been told I have low prolactin levels, I am really puzzled as when I was 16 I was told that I would not be able to Conceive because of other problems and that my ovaries were very small. I'm starting to think could my problems be due to my prolactin levels being low, recently I was give Hrt in which I had a reaction, and have been to doctors on numerous occasion due to feeling very tired, exhausted, muscle pain, and memory loss. I sometimes think could of my levels been high and then after taking the Hrt could of this lower'd my levels. Very confused and after answers. Please help?
Sounds like you have hypogonadism and some hypopituitary issues going on here (I am only a layman guessing) - and you need a doctor that can treat these issues. The causes can vary from genetic to not having enough hormones so you need to see a neuro-endo. Just tossing in HRT may just complicate matters as hormones interact with each other and it upset your balance. They tend to do that to women - happened to me too - if anything happens to your cycle they load you up with hormones and it is AWFUL.

Do you have copies of any tests - I would send them on to a pituitary center and find a neuro-endo. What type of doctor have you seen already and what tests so far?