Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Need help: strange symptom after pituitary cyst removal via transphenoi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Need help: strange symptom after pituitary cyst removal via transphenoid

I had Rathke Cleft Cyst removal via transphenoid surgery about 2 months ago.  One month after the operation, I started to hear sound behind my nose.  People standing close to me can hear it too.   I went to see many doctors (surgeon, ENT doctor, neurologist) and did the MRI 6 weeks post operation.  Doctors said nothing wrong on MRI and no one can tell me what causes the sound.   Has anyone had similar problem?  What is the cause?  Is there any ultrasound for sinus?  What else should I do?
Tags: transphenoid, pituitary
Sorry I have never heard of that. It must drive you crazy. Hope someone here can help
I'm curious, what kind of sound are you hearing? Have they confirmed that the incision is well healed? I would go to an Ear, nose and throat they can look at your sinuses with a camera, like they use for endoscopic nasal polyp removal. Sorry you are experiencing that, I can imagine would be super distracting not to mention worrisome.
Thank you both for your response and for your understanding.

There are 2 types of sound: one is like knocking a table by a tip of your nail (or like a dripping of water into a bucket).   Sometimes, the sound is like opening an old wooden door.  First I thought there might be some fluid.  However, MRI shows no fluid in parasinus or pituitary area.  

I went to ENT doctor.  He used the nasal endoscope to see inside my nose and the area where the sinus drain.  However he could not see the frontal or sphenoid sinus areas because the sinus opening is too small to enter with nasal endocscopes (this is in most patients)  

Jenloret, is it the same camera?

One point I forgot to mentioned is that MRI does show the marked mucosal thickening in the enlarged sphenoid sinus and minimal in bilateral ethmoid sinuses.  However, all doctors said this is normal for post transphenoid surgery.  Not sure if it could cause any sound?

That is a new one. Have you tried a CT scan or x-ray? MRIs show soft tissue, but CTs show more bone - so if a bone was out of wack another type of imaging may be more useful?

That would be annoying.