Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Needed: Pre and post pituitary surgery preparation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

I recently found a site online where I watched a clip of a Neurosurgeon walking patients/families through "what to expect" pre and post-op transphenoidal pituitary surgery.  Now, I can't find it.  I was looking for something my husband could watch.  This particular clip had the Neurosurgeon in a large room doing a PowerPoint presentation.  Does anyone know this clip or of something similar?  Thank you!
Tags: Surgery preparation
I sent a link to you PM.

What type of tumor do you have? When is your surgery?
Hi Rumpled,

I have what my endo believes is a ACTH secreting microadenoma in my pituitary. I finally will meet with NIH next Tues to confirm the Cushing Disease  and schedule surgery if they believe I'm a canidate and IF their Neurosurgeon meets my criteria.  

My husband thinks I will need a few (3-4) weeks down and then I'll be ok.  Ok meaning back to work as an RN and packing our house up for a move across the city this summer.  I will be taking him to NIH with me, but thought I would spare him embarrassment as he talks with the Drs there.  

I love my husband and give him credit that he is very smart and one of those who ( I hate to admit) is usually right on most issues......BUT I have him on this one.  He is so overwhelmed with my psych/depression issues and the loss of his wife, that he has resigned to just agreeing with me on most things. "Whatever you need or can do, dear".  But I feel he doesn't believe me.  I need him prepared for the reality of a possibly difficult recovery.  More than a month. More than a couple of months.  Maybe a year or even two.

You said you PM me.  I'll see if I can find it.  I'll let you know what happens with NIH.  Thanks for your time!
I had Cushing's myself.

Surgical recovery is a few weeks - but hormonal recovery can vary. Some people can take a year, some years. It can vary in *severity* depending on how the disease has effected you - for me, I became completely disabled as my body was actually using the steroids I produced for another disease and I was self-treating, and so when that source was gone, I went to heck in a handbasket quickly.

My hubs had to come up quick too - after all, most surgeries are like that - you go in, you recover, and viola - FIXED! But pituitary stuff is different. The hormonal variable can make for some weird things.

Glad you have criteria for surgeon and are being critical - it pays in the long run to have the best surgeon out there.
Pain Tracker
Pain
melimeli commented on photo
48 mins ago
melimeli commented on mhv's status
53 mins ago
melimeli ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT THE NEW... Comment