Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
OB/Gyn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

OB/Gyn

Here is my story. I was diagnosed with prolactinoma and started taking Cabergoline since December last year. I got my period in January and hope to get one this month. My neuro-endo told me not to conceive till I get 2 regular periods. I'm planning to get pregnant but I don't know how to find a good OB/Gyn that has experience in high risk pregnancies. I asked my primary physician but had no luck and also asked my friends but we don't have good ob/gyns in my area. Please advice my where to look, how to start, and what to look in OB/Gyn that treated cases like mine or high risk pregnancies.
Thanks much
Have you asked your neuro-endo for a referral? She/he may know since they deal with patients that have high risk pregnancies and would have gotten patients from those doctors when things have been discovered.

Otherwise, try at larger hospitals and university hospitals. I know around my area OB specialists are hard to find as the insurance is so high.
Thank you, rumpled! I asked my neuro-endo at Johns Hopkins and he said that there is a OB/GYNs team at Johns Hopkins that deal with high risk pregnancies but I'm scared to go there because my regular office visit is billed as out patient visit at Johns Hopkins in addition to co-pay and hospital fee.
Call your insurance company. You should be able to get in-network coverage. Either they have to direct you to an in-network provider, or they should (under  most contracts, contact HR) pay for that out-of-network one like in-network since you have no other option. It is going to take some calls, fighting, and asking for supervisors (get names) etc.

It can be done or at least, it used to... not sure now.
We called the hospital and they told us that they did the correct billing and I have to pay. That's 100+30+275 in total. What a rip-off!!
Yikes... that will add up. Does your ins company have other in-network options with similar level of care? I would ask...
You can also work with HR (and their rep) in regards to your case, and find an in-network provider, or allow you to see the guy you are at in-network prices if they don't have an equal option?
rumpled,
He is in-network only but works in Johns Hopkins and does not work else where. Hence, the problem. We did pay the bill, and the HR people are working on the case. I think it will take lot of time because it has been almost 3 months but didn't get any update.

I'm 17 weeks pregnant now, and my prolactin levels that were done last week are 106.3. My endo says it can go up to 300 during pregnancy. I'm really worried/concerned. I hope my pregnancy continues to be full term.
You are not the first person with a pit tumor to have a baby, so they should be able to manage it.

While your levels will rise during pregnancy (and I do believe that in a normal situation they would rise anyway), they will have to wait until after the baby is delivered to treat and that is should be reasonable given that they are monitoring you, the baby, etc. The tumor may grow a bit - and hopefully meds can reduce it after the baby is delivered and get your levels back down.

Keep us posted and hope things go more smoothly than the dang bill... it took me over a year once to work out a bill with insurance. My umpteenth letter was rather... nasty - no swear words but close - and I got paid shortly after. It was mostly error - coding errors - on their part and then they said my treatment was not medically necessary for which I submitted tons of information about my condition and they finally had to pay. Idiots. Oh did I say that out loud?