Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
POST OP PIT TUMOR 7MM REMOVAL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

POST OP PIT TUMOR 7MM REMOVAL

12 DAYS AFTER SURGERY IS IT NORMAL TO STILL FEEL DIZZY LIKE A FLOATING DIZZINESS, LIKE INCOORDINATION  TYPE DIZZINESS?  I HAD A 7MM ANTERIOR TUMOR REMOVED FROM MY PIT GLAND.
Hi there-
I don't remember feeling dizzy 12 days out. you should get in touch with your surgeon or neuroendo. You should be tired still and taking it easy.

Are you dizzy all of the time of when you lean forward for example?

Are you on any hormones particularly DDAVP? That one can really mess with your fluid balance and it would be an emergency situation if you are overhydrated? Do you weigh more than usual, that might show that you are over hydrated? If so you need to go to the ER now.

Horselip
Hi. I have been bending and stooping a little. it gets worse when i walk around and after i eat it seems. it hasnt even been 2 weeks yet tho since surgery.  no i am not on any hormones and my doc said my pit gland is working fine. i actually did have this same type of dizziness before surgery and after i think it just made it worse. i am confident it will get better.   no i am not over hydrated. did you get your tumor removed? when i am laying down i dont feel the dizziness. just when i get up and walk around too much. yesterday it was better.
thanks. i am a bit tired but not overly.
Hiya again-

It's great that you have not lost any hormone function! But you should make sure that this get tracked over time. Growth hormone and thyroid are the common to "go" after surgery.
I had my first surgery in 2006.  

While the spot in the skull that the neurosurgeon made to remove the adenoma is still healing it's good to try and not bend forward and lift things. The surgeon also went through the dura, which is the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord and contains the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).

One idea-
Do you have any drainage from a sinus infection? That can throw you off and you would need antibiotics.

Another idea-
Some of us get the complication of a CSF leak but it is not very common. I just happen to be one of the ones who got that. I have since had two surgeries to attempt to repair this. I am still leaking a very small amount and we are trying to figure out what to do.

With a csf leak you do feel much better lying down than standing up. There may also be a tin clear metallic fluid that runs down the back of your throat or out of a nostril. This causes headaches and a little bit of dizziness with me which is why I asked if it got worse when you lean forward. CSF can leak from any hole or tear in the dura. The surgeon cut through that for your surgery. but usually they go away on their own after about 2-3 days of bed rest.

So, hopefully you are just on the mend and all if good!
Horselip
I was told not to bend over for 30 days after my surgery...
Do take it easy. Consult your doctor if you are not feeling well. Any - ANY questions - go back to the doctor.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes I do have a bit of sinus infection due to allergies I believe.
I have been doing the irrigation like crazy but since I just had brain surgery I am gonna call doc tomorrow to see if i need some antibiotics for the sinus infection. I do not have a fever or anything. Thanks.
Some surgeons I know were OK with saline, and some are not - did you consult your doc on the saline before doing that? They actually put a lot of stuff including antibiotic up in your nose. Please call your doctor ASAP - a fever is NOT needed to have an infection (had it, been there, done that) and you may need help with say sodium etc.

Please call your doctor.
i AM STILL DIZZY. LIKE A "PRESSING DOWN" TYPE OF DIZZINESS . IT GETS WORSE WITH STRESS SEEMS. I HAD THE SYMPTOM EVEN BEFORE THE TUMOR WAS REMOVED BUT IT GOT BETTER. AFTER SURGERY IT GETS WORSE AND SOMETIMES GETS BETTER. DO YOU ALL KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS WEIRD SENSATION? BRUISING OF THE PIT GLAND MAYBE? HOW LONG DOES IT (PIT GLAND)REALLY TAKE TO HEAL?

Did you talk to or see your doctor?

I felt fine after my surgery so you need to see your doctor. Surgical recovery can take a few weeks but hormonal recovery takes time. You may need an adjustment in your medications. Are you on replacement hormones - cortef, thyroid, etc?

You may have an infection. SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

Let us know how you are after you see your doctor. Get testing.
I agree, get seen!!! you should not be dizzy like this at this point. something is going on.
Horselip
HELLO. YA IT IS LIKE A FLOATING DIZZINESS AFTER EATING. OR A PRESSING DOWN TYPE OF DIZZINESS.  BUT THURSDAY I DIDNT HAVE ANY DIZZINESS ALL DAY. SO MAYBE MY HORMONES ARE TRYING TO BALANCE OUT. BUT I DID HAVE THIS SYMPTOM BEFORE SURGERY AT TIMES BUT NOW AFTER SURGERY IT IS WORSE. THANKS.  
I still would go see your doctor. You should not feel this way - why are you not seeing your endo or your surgeon for lab tests? It could be a sodium disorder or something - and you really want to take care of this.

Of course your hormones are out of balance after the pituitary has been pushed around a bit - so you need the support of medications. Lab testing will show the doctor what you need.

Get to the doctor!!!