Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pain in neck for a former pediatric cerebral astrocytoma 20 year surviv...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Pain in neck for a former pediatric cerebral astrocytoma 20 year survivor patinet

I developed a cerebral ventricular astrocytoma brain stem tumor when I was 13 years old back in 1990.  It was a low grade tumor (Grade 2) and I recieved the maximum dose of radiation therapy for it in 1991.  It is believed that the radiation that I received surrounded the tumor and killed all the cells around it and sufforcated the tumor and is scar tissue (hasn't grown or shrunk in over 19 years of MRI and CT exams that are routine due to this brain stem tumor). I am now 32 years old and by a routine examination my primary care physician gave me an ultrasound of my neck that resulted in the finding of a thyroid nodule.  It was of a cystic nature and a FNA could not be preformed due to it being less than 1 CM in size (it was only 3mm).  6 months later another ultrasound was preformed and it showed no presence of a thyroid nodule but only a month after that pain had returned to that area of the neck and I am experiencing constant neck discomfort (it feels like arthritic pain all over in my neck with harsh pain centralizing where the initial thyroid nodule was found uppon the first examination).  

Extra information:  About a year ago a dentist removed my impacted wisdom teeth (he did this and made me sign a waver half way though the proceedure) and I now have parathesis on the right side of my mouth.  I have had GERD since I was 14 and have been taking medications daily since then.  I also have a varococille.

Should I at all be concerned about this constant neck discomfort/pain?  
Have you seen an ENT? I would go see an ENT on the thyroid. Then I would go see an orthopedist for the neck to see if it is a physical issue.

There can be side effects from the radiation - or it could be something new, unrelated.

Nodules do come and go.
Pain Tracker
Pain
Surgery4dad commented on life after brain tumo...
Aug 31
LittleMissSweetie commented on Life after brain tumo...
Aug 28
mhv commented on photo
Aug 26