Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pineal Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Pineal Cyst

I had an MRI of my brain and they found a Pineal Cyst, 6mm x 8mm (they were checking for MS).   My Neurologist told me it was nothing to worry about but I would need to have a follow up MRI in a year.   That these are common.
I would just like further confirmation that it is in fact nothing to "worry about" as she has yet to diagnose my current health issues.
I found a medical encyclopedia that said pineal cysts are found in 5% of MRIs, and 40% of autopsies. Large ones can produce symptoms through mass effect.
However, the pineal gland does have a function and that is to produce melatonin so if you are having problems sleeping, I would get testing.

It is sad that sometimes there are docs that get hung up on size or numbers and forget that hello, we are not feeling well and that is why they did the test in the first place! I had that same situation with my pituitary tumor.

Can you get your GP to run blood tests?
Thanks, the Neuro basically wrote it off like it wasn't a big deal, but either way it is still  something that I'm not comfortable having it just sit and take up space.   At least it's small, for now.         I did do a bunch of bloodtests and am awaiting a call from her office.
I got the results myself and my ANA level is 1:640, I've looked it up and some say it's a negative result and some say it's positive.   It's also a speckled specimen???
I still don't have any answers to explain all of the weird and irritating symptoms I am experiencing.   I'm thinking of going for a second opinion.
You could consult a rheumatologist on that one. That is fairly high. It seems worthy of doing more tests, especially since you do not feel well.

The site I use say that is a positive result (it is over 1:320) and
Speckled - associated with SLE, Sjogren’s syndrome, scleroderma, polymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, and mixed connective tissue disease.