Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pineal Gland Cyst?Tumor? Not sure, please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

I am so glad that i found this website, i have been feeling so scared and alone..I am 22 years old and two weeks ago i was diagnosed with a pineal gland cyst?tumor? The MRI results labeled it as a cyst, but my GP kept referring to it as a tumor, so I'm really confused. I've had intense headaches for the last eight months or so, and have significant trouble concentrating on tasks and am having a harder time remembering things, but not a lot of other symptoms that I'm reading other people are experiencing, like blackouts, seizures, vision loss, etc. I do have a lot of trouble sleeping, and can wake up from a 12 hour night of sleep and still feel exhausted. What I'm hoping someone will tell me is if the absence of these more serious sounding symptoms may mean that my case isn't as serious? Or are symptoms not necessarily an indicator of the severity of your condition? My tumor is 11.3mm x 10 mm. I have a week and a half more to go before I see the neurologist, and I don't want to allow myself to believe that my case is no big deal because I'm not blacking out or anything until someone can confirm it for me.

The reason for the trouble sleeping is that the pineal gland secretes melatonin. Has that been tested?

Alas, there are pitfalls in reading the experiences of others. If you are experiencing the same, it is nice to know, but if you are not, it does not mean you will as there is sometimes a very broad spectrum of symptoms for one *thing*.  It does not mean that what you have is any less serious - some people just have different reactions.

Cyst vs tumor - they do appear different most times on imaging and for your doc to inadvertently refer as one or the other is rather unfortunate. It could be that he is nust not that familiar.

I do hope that you get a good eye exam as well. Even if it just a baseline, you need visual fields when something is up in that area.
Thank you so much for responding...I'm beginning to see what you mean as i read more and more testimonies on the vast spectrum of symptoms. Some VERY GOOD NEWS, I called my doctors office and made sure someone would ask the doctor why he said what he did. Supposedly, the word tumor is latin for swelling so he used the word because it's technically appropriate (even though terrifyingly misleading) but after reviewing my chart did confirm that it appears to be a cyst, not a tumor. I still have 5 more days until i see the neurologist, but knowing this much makes it a bit more bearable. Also, i do have an ophthalmologist appt. set up for the first week of April since my vision did drop slightly and i had a borderline glaucoma screening result. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write, God Bless.
Let us know how it goes.
I have a pineal cyst too. I just started a group at yahoo. Please see the Pineal cyst group to join!
hey im sorry 4 wht u have...... i have the same thing but not as bad as u have it mines was jus a hard bang in the sement wall at a club wht a brawl that was girls and boys fightining and that was a boy that hit me but we will all get threw this together if your willing to!!!!!!!!!
Pain Tracker
Pain
melimeli commented on KeeLolo's status
Aug 21
lola4686 added the Diabetes Tracker
Aug 17
lola4686 Struggling to get my prolac... Comment
Aug 17