Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pituitary Related Medical Issues
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pituitary Related Medical Issues

Not sure how this will go over because, to me, it's a very detailed and complicated mess.  Here goes:  My 50 year old father was diagnosed with a Pituitary Tumor, 22ish years ago. He underwent a very invasive surgery (under the lip) where they were able to get most of the tumor, from what I understand.  (I was 11 at the time of the surgery.)  About 3 years ago, he started have medical issues.  Let me point out that my father really had not had any follow-up treatment after the surgery, being the extremely stubborn and prideful man that he is. In fact, it was of very little concern to me that he had the tumor at all, while I was growing up. I was under the impression, that it had been taken care of and all was fine.  Let me also point out, that my dad lives 2100 miles away from me, with very little family support, with the exception of my fantastic little sister and his sister who live in the same town as him.

Turns out the tumor had regrown to 2cm in diameter.  The prognosis was grim and treatment options were very scary.  He was being treated at the VA Hospital, which was also very difficult.  The physicians at the hospital teamed up with some very qualified surgeons (confirmed by google) and he, after some cohersion, underwent the surgery, followed by radiation.  

Being naive, we expected, that this would be the cure and he would recover and go back to real life.  Boy were we wrong!  Since then he has become severely depressed, drug-addicted, and for lack of a better word, a mess.  He has since had a PaceMaker implanted, which means no more MRI's to monitor any potential growth.  I have flown across the country several times in the past 3 years when he has overdosed on his pain medications.  I believe these overdoses are related to poor endocrinology care.

With all that said, Dad is now back in the hospital, and is having a lumbar puncture done tomorrow to rule out meningitis.  I am being told by the nurses caring for him that there may be swelling in the brain.  His White Blood Cell count is elevated to 18.2 so they are trying to figure out why.  His mental status is very altered right now, severe slurring of the speech, in and out of sleep, not able to remember much and has admitted to taking percoset, valium, morphine, zanax and marijuana yesterday prior to being admitted.

Someone, anyone, tell me how in the world I am supposed to help this man monitor his care 2300 miles away.  I am working on getting him to come live with me, but with his altered mental status and my lack of financial means to hop on a plane at a moments notice every 6 months, this is proving difficult.  He has kicked out home health workers of his home in the past.  My sister is not able to emotionally handle his fits of rage regarding the medications.  

Any positive assistance anyone can offer is greatly appreciated and if you are still reading this, I'm sure whatever you have to say will be helpful.  Thank you!!!