Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pituitary Surgery.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Pituitary Surgery.

I just wanted to let everyone know if you have a pituitary tumor seek out a hospital/doctor that has done thousands of these operations and the hospital has cutting edge technology. I had a tumor that had a stroke and had instant pain and vision loss. I live in a state that does not have a great neurosurgeon/ hospital for this type of surgery. I looked up pituitary centers and a list of 5 of the top pituitary centers in the world popped up. I called them all. UCLA got me in immediately for a appointment and that day they operated on me because it was a medical emergency. UCLA is ranked 5th in the world at pituitary surgery, my doctor ( Bergsneider has done over 4,000 operations of pituitary tumors).  You get a better outcome with a surgeon and hospital that specializes in this sort of surgery. My Pituitary tumor was extremely large, causing loss of vision and the tumor had a stroke and swelled so my case was very serious. I month out after surgery and all is well. I 'm on 2 medications Thyroid and steroid for precautionary reasons and I'm getting more blood work done to find out if I can stop taking the medicine and I will let you know but it looks like I will be slow taken off of them all together. My eyesight is back to normal, thank god.
I am so glad you found an experienced surgeon. I second your advice. I constantly say that the surgeon and his skill and the first factor in the outcome in your surgery!

I am glad that after your pituitary apoplexy that you got your vision back!

I am panhypopit myself (mostly due to removal of the glands). When  you wean off the steroids, take it slow - it can be very painful.
Thanks for the info and kind words. What medication do you have to take?
I am panhypopit (which means all or most of the pit hormones are low).  I replace all but ADH.

Just make sure your doc keeps evaluating you long term - things like growth hormone may be ok now, but may be lost later.
Pain Tracker
Pain
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
Sandyruiz1962 added the Gastro Tracker
Jul 19
Sandyruiz1962 added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Jul 19