Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pituitary Tumor question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Pituitary Tumor question

I was diagonosed with hashimotos and hypothyroidism.  I had the standard blood tests, a 24 hour urine test, MRI of my brain and ears (because my ears have been ringing) and a cat scan of my brain.

If I have a Pit tumor, would any of these tests of picked it up?

thank you
Hi-
Pituitary adenomas can be a little tricky. Neuroendos rely on a combination of your clinical symptoms, labs and scans to diagnose.

The only thing that I can think of is by standard blood tests, what do you mean?

If you had all of the pituitary hormones done in your labs, then yes you are probably good to go. But there is always a chance that you could test "borderline" high or low if you are in an earlier stage or if you have a non-secreting adenoma like a cyst.

I would recommend that you review your labs (and get a copy) with your doctor when you see him/her next.

MRI's and CAT scans don't always pick up Pit tumors by the way.

So it's really a matter of whether you having other symptoms that make you think that you have Pituitary adenoma if all else looks ok.
CTs are not a good test for Pituitary tumors - unless the dang thing is huge, it will not show.

A pituitary MRI, with and without contrast, done dynamically, is the proper way to try to detect a pituitary lesion. Was your MRI done this way?

What type of urine test? There are so many? Cortisol, creatine, metaphrines?

IMHO, standard blood tests will not pick up pituitary tumors - it needs hormone and pituitary testing.