Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pituitary adenoma and anxiety disorder?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Pituitary adenoma and anxiety disorder?

Hi all, I was diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma (prolactinoma - first sign/symptom was secretion from breasts) back in 1989 (I was 11). I had several tests done at the time and prolactin was elevated (don't remember exact number). Had MRI which confirmed/indicated a microadenoma. Was given parlodel for awhile - saw no change in size of tumor. Was told to "wait and see" and continue MRI's every year or so unless I noticed significant headaches/vision trouble. Never had any of these concerns (continued to have MRI's every now and again with no change in tumor - though breast discharge continued) and continued on with my energetic and happy life.

Fast forward 10 years and I start experiencing my first ever bout of anxiety (very significant - and not something I had EVER felt before). Saw Dr. for anxiety and was started on Lexapro. Ever since then I've been on anti-depressants (after awhile with the anxiety I also began to experience depression), which have given me relief to an extent, although some days are more difficult than others.

My main questions are:
Have any of you experienced anxiety/depression due to a prolactinoma?
Could the prolactinoma be the explanation/cause behind my anxiety/depression? I was seriously a very happy go lucky person (worried sometimes, but otherwise no mental issues) until this all began about 10 years ago.
If this is not likely the cause, that's fine. I don't want to make something out of nothing, but I do want feedback from others that have been there and have walked in my shoes, so to speak. Others that I have asked pretty quickly dismiss the idea, but they also haven't had any endocrine issues.

Look forward to your feedback - take care!
geargarage
You need to find news doctors please please please. Doctors who are waiting to treat when the tumor becomes less operable are, to be blunt, stupid, when your tumor can be treated with medications now and yes, you are having symptoms. Emotional issues are well documented with pit tumors. They need to treat the underlying issue and why leave you with leaky breasts and high prolactin for all these years?

Please consult a neuro endo once you get copies of all your tests and MRI reports. You deserve to be treated. Wait and see should not happen with a symptomatic lesion.
Thank you so much rumpled! I greatly appreciate your time and response. About 5 years ago I did visit a different endocrinologist (the one I had gone too when I was younger has since retired) and she reacted the same way as any other doctor I've asked about it - an association is not likely. The main symptoms they were ever concerned about were headaches or visual changes. :-(

It's been hard for me to accept this, but I will if I have to. I'm just not convinced that's the case, especially given my happy go lucky/positive nature until things began to change (anxiety/depression) about 10-11 years ago.

I'm going to request copies of all test and MRI reports from that visit 5 years ago, and am going to research other neuro endocrinologists to consult. If emotional issues are well documented with pituitary tumors, why is the medical community not better informed? Is there a listing of this documentation that I could bring with me for reference?

Thanks again for your input - it's great to have someone to understand where I'm coming from. :) geargarage
Hey there-
Check the Pituitary Network Association. They have tons of literature available (for purchase) there is a whole section on emotional stuff. There was one thing that i ordered many years ago that was called "the emotional aspects of pituitary disease" or something like that. look for things that are peer reviewed by neuroendos.as they have some things that are more casually written too.
Horselip
You can actually google *emotional aspects of pituitary disease* and get hits - including the PNA article - or you used to...

They also have a webinar devoted to the subject on their site - I just don't know if it is for members only (I am a member so I cannot tell).

I went to several doctors and I had a couple tell me silly things like wait until it gets bigger etc. After you do some research and get a good doctor, you realize that is a not good thing to do. Prolactinomas are mostly (90+%) controllable with meds - and while the side effects of the meds are not great - neither are the symptoms so you have to get with a doctor that is going to work with you. Plus most of us end up with thyroid and other hormones that are off as well and most doctors end up not testing well for the whole gamut.

I know my prolactinoma caused me a lot of problems - but I had another tumor up there adding to the issues.