Pituitary tumors genetic?
Hi all. I was diagnosed last year with a pituitary microadenoma. I just found out this week that I have an uncle who had surgery 8 weeks ago on a large pituitary tumor. Its been removed, he had bad headaches for 5 weeks and is now back to work and doing well. I'm sure this questions been asked before but in the archives I couldn't find anything. In your own experience and research have you found that there is a genetic component to pituitary tumors....do they run in families like aneurysms can?

Thanks for your replys.
I know of families that have them (a father and two children, two sisters) and all, but oddly, if you ask most doctors, they will say no.

I look at my grandmother's picture and pick out characteristics that make me think she had one... and I had a couple...

One doctor was asked this at a conference that I attended recently. He said that it has not been studied well. He said said there has to be some sort of genetic component anyway that makes one person get it and not another person, and he has seen the trend in a a family or two, but it is not something that seems to run in a lot of families that he has seen as yet.
Thanks rumpled - It will be a great day when much more research is done and out for public knowledge. I was so glad to hear that my uncle had a good outcome with his surgery. Strangely enough, I experienced some relief when I found out I wasn't the only one in my family who has one of these. It gives me answers that docs haven't been able to as of yet.

Have fun with your kittehs ;-)
I am glad to hear your uncle had a good outcome!
I heard my cousin's tumor (CNS lymphoma) has shrunk, but he still remains with a lot of issues.
The kittehs are super active, very happy, and at the moment, chasing each other around... *sigh*. Thanks!
How big are ur tumor if you dont mind me asking? I had small ones and just had another mri and they have grown to 9mm!! trying to get in to a doc because i feel like im only going down hill
An MRI is only part of the diagnosis - you need to have lab testing to determine the type of the tumor. When that is done, your doctor can determine the best treatment(s) for the lesion - some react to medications, some need surgery etc.

If it is growing rather rapidly, I hope they are not waiting. Are you at a pituitary center and are  you being treated by pituitary doctors - aka neuro-endocrinolist? This is very important. Some mis-informed doctors may not treat you in time. Get informed and get to the proper doctor - at a university or larger hospital. You may have to travel. Get copies of your records and send them.