Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Pregnant & EXTREMELY worried about possible tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

I am a 23 yr old female, 5 months pregnant. About 5 years ago I started having extremely weird feelings/episodes out of nowhere one day. At the time I also became so nauseous and nervous that I couldn't keep any food down. I wasn't throwing up, I was just so to pieces that I couldn't physically eat. I lost a lot of weight, and became completely irrational/inconsolable. I was convinced that I was dying of some undiagnosed neurological disease. Somewhere along the way, I became convinced that I had a brain tumor. I was told by about three different GP doctors that I had panic disorder and needed to go back on antidepressant medication, which I had stopped taking about 2 months before these weird feelings began. Finally, one doctor sent me for a non-contrast CT scan just to shut me up. It came back normal, and I was over the brain tumor deal for a little while. This was in 2006. In Feb. of 2009 the weird episodes returned, and once again, I lost it. I had to be taken to another GP who gave in and sent me for an MRI without contrast after I went hysterical in his office. The MRI came back clear, and I was put on Pristiq and Lamictal for panic disorder and bi-polar disorder. Well, this past October I discovered I was pregnant, and was told by my OBGYN that it was recommended that I stopped taking my meds because of the uncertain affect they would have on the baby. So, around mid-November I stopped taking my meds. For a little while, I was okay. Recently, though, I began having overwhelming anxiety. I will wake up out of sleep nervous. I have moments where I begin to feel completely weak and have to sit down. I have strange muscle twitches and tingling sensations all over my body. Feelings of heat and cold on my skin all over that seem to have no real source. My heart had very unsettling flutters. The weird feelings have come back as well...sort of rolling every day. When I get these feelings I begin to feel as if something inside of my body is coming to an apex. My legs feel as if they won't function. It's as if all of my synapses are firing or something. I do not hyperventilate or feel as if I'm going to have a heart attack...I just feel weird and scared. Yesterday morning, I awoke and couldn't move my left hand for about 5 seconds. I was so wrecked with fear over it that I couldn't even remember whether I had been sleeping on it and whether that caused it or not. My OBGYN seems to think that I am just hormonal combined with not being medicated, but I'm worried that I have a brain tumor or maybe MS and that the weird feelings are seizures caused by the possible tumor. He's sending me to a neuro on March 4th, and I have to take copies of my MRI from 2009 with me. My OB said "just so he can look at them and  tell you that you are alright". I'm worried that I didn't have a sufficient scan to rule out a tumor. Shouldn't I have had contrast when I had the MRI in 2009? I read things that say and MRI is essentially useless without the dye when looking for tumors. Why didn't they order a contrast MRI when I was obviously worried about tumors? Now that I am experiencing weird symptoms again and am pregnant, I can't have the MRI with the dye, can I? And what good is looking at a scan from 2 years ago going to do now? Am I just supposed to wait out a horrible diagnosis because I am pregnant? I'm really, really worried and am just looking for some advice or input from someone.
An MRI without contrast is pretty useless yes - but it can rule out MS and larger brain tumors so it did do some stuff.

You may be hormonal - and I mean that nicely - you may want to go see an endocrinoligist and get more hormones tested and see if they can pinpoint things but it will not be easy as cortisol rises with pregnancy anyway so that would raise anxiety (the body wants you to protect the baby) but maybe it is over the top too high or something. As well, your thyroid may be off. I am just guessing but those things can lead to feeling awful.

BTW most neuros cannot read films so you can drag them in there but the guy won't look at them he will only read the report. Try an endo and see if that helps.