Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Prolactin/Pituitaty Tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Prolactin/Pituitaty Tumor

Ive recently been diagnosed with a Pituitary Tumor end of Nov 2013.  It is 3mm in size, Prolactin Levels were only slightly high 28, no optic chasim(pushing on eye nerves from what they saw), and my pituitary stalk deviates "slightly" to the right. Doctor didn't seem to say he was worried about this.  I had my endo finally end of January and I just did several growth hormone test, prolactin, Cushings to be safe and waiting results this week/next week should know.  My doc. recommended so far that if Im not showing any signs to do the wait and see approach.  Some people don't have tumors that grow.  My periods have been regular and heavy until after the stressful Holiday season when I found out I had this.  Then I had a light cycle in January.  I have a little hair in places ladies....few chin/chest (hormone related im sure)  No lactation, headaches only during cycle or right before.  Ive always had some at this time.  Im 38 now and had fertility issues with low progesterone having my children in my late 20's.  Im having some blurriness with reading for long periods but usually before bed or staring at a bright screen.  Ive always had sensitivity to light btw,  but I have always had glasses/contacts.  My sight hasn't changed over the past years much.  I am due for my yearly eye appointment.    Im a little concerned about blurry vision which I mentioned to doc.  He said only that it wasn't on optic nerve,,,,and to make sure I see my eye doctor.  We discussed drugs and recommended away from it for now because the effects can outway the benefits for me if Im not presenting any signs.  Of course He wants the labs first back.  We set another appointment up for the end of year with MRI and labs already.  He said we would take the wait and see approach if everything was fine with labs.  I agreed if I don't need the meds for now.  He also said if I had any changes or signs to come in and we could start meds. at any time if needed.  I suppose My question is...Do I get a second opinion?  He is doing all the test and kinda let me make the final choice to try meds.  I don't believe in taking something that could worsen it if Im not showing any signs.  Any suggestions or info on what you others have been through would help.

Sarah
Is your endo a neuro-endo at a pituitary center, or a regular endo, and did you get copies of everything and read the results? If not, please do!

At 3mm, it is unlikely your tumor will reach the optic nerve, but it is not impossible to have symptoms - and they can be subtle. Was your MRI a dynamic pituitary MRI? Did you get a copy of the report and read it? If not, please do.

Do you know what testing was done? Prolactin can be raised by other hormones - not just being a prolactinoma. It could be thyroid, or even just being ill.

My prolactin, BTW was just barely elevated like yours and I was fully lactating and I had terrible headaches. I ended up with both Cushing's and a prolactinoma.

Even smaller tumors start out rather subtle and with small issues. I had very few symptoms and then wham, I was hit and my body felt like it changed over a few months. It does pay to get treated though before your body gets damaged, so I do advocate a pituitary doctor, reading up to make sure you have a competent doctor, reading your own records so you can ask questions and knowing you own health.