Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Removal of Titanium plate after Brain surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

I had a cavernous Angioma removed by a fantastic surgeon at Stanford. Everything has gone well 2 years on except for the muscles surrounding the plate on the right side of my head. It doesn't hurt, but feels very uncomfortable more recently. If I were to guess the muscles are still having a hard time developing around the plate. A few times it felt like my cranium muscle was on the verge of a muscle twitch/spasm. Is it feasible to just have that plate removed? Wouldn't teh skull piece be grown back by now and healed? Thanks for any insight.
Gosh I don't know. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along though. What does the neurosurgeon say?
Horselip
The bone may have grown around the plate and embedded the plate - it may have done this in such a way that it is not comfortable. I would see your doctor.

Have you had a follow up MRI? Testing?
No follow up MRI or anything, no. I had it done by one of the best specialists in the country. He said it went great and no need for follow up. It has gone great except for this weird feeling though. I suppose a checkup is in order then. Just wondering if this would be common knowledge or not. Thanks.
I was wonder if you can describe the "wierd feeling" you are having.  A friend of mine had brain surgery in March, and she keeps talking about feeling wierd but can't really describe it.  Can you, and do you take any medication for it.

Thanks!
i beleive i have the same issue but my plate has been in my skull for over 32 yrs, i am feelling a lump right above my left ear which is about 3 inches lower then were the plate is and little bumps running down the left side of my hair line, it doesn't hurt but does feel very uncomfortable its been going on for just under a year i have asked for a cat scan but have heard nothing for several months.
After you had your scan or request for one, did you call your doctor for a follow up appointment to ask questions? Get back on the phone to get a scan, or make an appointment.
I had a meningioma recently removed in July of this year.  Healing's been going well but had a bump pop up on my head about an inch from the incision location.  My neurosurgeon checked it but said it was probably the plate/screw but not to worry unless it became inflamed, etc.  Now I've got another bump slightly under that one...tender to the touch.  Called my doctor this week but they said not to worry about it and just "wait and see".  Think I should be asking for a scan?
Why not go get another opinion?
I am having the same problems. I have a t. Plate on the left side of my head from smashing into my review mirror. Ouch!!!'  :( my nerves are shot cause like you guys say its not easy to get used to especially in the winter time. I also have a lump 2" above my left ear. This has been like this since I had the surgery (g bless Dr Freeze)

The problem is the when I place my hand on the plate are and slowly move my hand in a round motion, I hear and feel snap crackle and popping.... Which is scaring me wicked back that  about to freak out. Also I've had bad sinus pressure for 3years now that does squeak release but it's been releasing now for 3 years. My ears are involved in the sinus thing to.

One thing I think I can ease some of your mind's with: If some of you feel like someones resting there hand all the time on the plate area. This is because when the cut the nerves which now are screwy endings  assuming.

Well I'm out hope I eased somebody's mind an they sleep well tonight. I love you and god bless! We made it!!!!

Mcalenda
Sorry about my last post I should have proof read it first. Hopefully you can figure out what I was saying. I phone spell check ***** sometimes
You all should be getting regular Cranial Sacral Massage- Massage prevents the tramatised ie- tight -muscle  turning into hard scar tissue- (mine felt like a bone it was so hard )- and causes all sorts of pain and "weird feelings" took about 8 months of 3 massages a week and all of that tissue broke down enough to be supple and allow the moisture to flow back through (along with other natural remedies and spiritual healing a bone spur that was about to shut off the spinal fluid flow - disappeared in the x-ray= years later!{ thank you Jesus and Mother Mary }- any way with the massage  therefore tissue that has been dead can come back alive, and wont be storing toxins which is what happens without blood flow. Glory Be to the great medical doctors I know -but don't throw out natural and preventative care (or faith) ever , you will not be sorry in the long run because it will end up saving in every aspect down the road including financial.