Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
SECOND TIME HAVING THIS PITUITARY GLADS WHAT ARE MY CHANCES IN GETTING ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

SECOND TIME HAVING THIS PITUITARY GLADS WHAT ARE MY CHANCES IN GETTING PREGNANT?

its been two years that i got ride of my pituitary glands and now about a month ago i found out that it came back and the prolactin was a little higher then the first time. im now back on the same meds. my doctor said i should be able to get pregnant just like he said the first time i had the pituitary and i never got pregnant. what are my chances of getting pregnant with a pituitary gland? i have had sex on the days when im ovulating and i still havent got pregnant.
I need you to clarify a few things. Did you get removal of a pituitary tumor, or the entire gland?

I think your doctor may be saying what you want to hear, and not telling you what many with pituitary disorders have - and that is fertility issues. Also, it may be more than prolactin impacted. Has he fully tested your hormones - thyroid, androgens, pituitary and all - as more may be going on.

If you have had pituitary surgery, often thyroid is impacted, and that will impact fertility. You may also have other hormones impacted too.

hi,
i have been taking bromocriptine and that has strunk the pituitary and that was in 2008. i april i got a prolactin test done and he said it was high then the first time. i was told since im takin bromocriptine i shuld be able to get pregnant and i still havent been able to gett pregnant. i just gone to the doctor today and was told that my MRI for the pituitary is stable and has been since March of 2008. he has only tested me for the prolaction. what kind of doctor is best for me to go to talk to about gettin a full hormone testing?
Are you seeing an endocrinologist or a neuro-endocrinoligst?
Are your periods normal?

Prolactin can be raised by other hormones - in my case, I was lactating, having messed up periods etc and went to a gyne and a found out my prolactin was abnormal. I was treated with bromo. They found a tumor, and it changed in size after treatment. In the end though, the tumor they saw was not a prolactinoma, it was Cushing's but I did have a prolactinoma on the other side of my pituitary. Cortisol can elevate prolactin too - as well as thyroid can too. So can medications and a lot of other things.

I kept having symptoms. You are not saying anything other than fertility - but an endo can help you with fertility as well as anything else going on.
im confused doesnt everybody have a pituitary gland????? dont you need it to survive? if its removed how can it grow abck?
Some people are born without one - it is rare, but it happens. There is also a syndrome, called Sheehans's syndrome where it is destroyed during childbirth - often the docs do not pick up on it until later. Women are tired after birth normally so a doc may not pick up on what is extraordinary.

The body is fairly resilient and can go for quite a while, but you would not feel well at all.

It cannot grow back, but I know someone who had the gland removed (he had several, aggressive tumors and this was a last resort surgery) and he had the function of one hormone, ADH, come back, but he still had part of his stalk so that kind of makes sense as there are ADH cells there so eventually they came back to compensate.
Can i add a positive note , i got pregnant twice whilst taking cabergoline for high prolactin levels, the first time i got pregnant taking them i had only been in them six weeks but i was told they would work very quickly, they reduced my levels to normal in a few weeks. Are your periods normal? An endo would probably be the best doctor to see as they specialise in this area. Is it possible there is another reason you can't get pregnant?
I wish all the best with this.
thank you
i will talk to my endo to get more test done.
yes my period is normal. i have been through all the treatment for this. my first time having this problem i was given cabergoline and now my second time around im on bromocriptine. if i havent gotten pregnant now then im sure it because of other reason but i will look into that. thank you all :-)