Small pituitary cyst,
Hey guys,

I just have a couple of questions regarding a tiny cyst on my pituitary. It is around 2 mm (I know, tiiiny!) It has been there for at least 3 years. But I have symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (my adrenals are fine) therefore I am on steroid replacement. My thyroid swings from hypo to hyper pretty much all the time. I also suffer from incredibly severe headaches and migraines (daily). I also have increased thirst (but no diabetes insipidus).

It is either a regular cyst or Rathke's cleft cyst.

Is this operable?

Thanks a bunch, i really appreciate your input!
Hi-

Have you gone to a pitiuitary center yet?.

Size is not the most important thing. Where it sits within your gland  in the"sella" region is important. Also, how "off" your hormones are, and how you feel are paramount too.

Rathke's tend to be wedged right in-between the two lobes of the pituitary gland.People who have them are are born with them.Yet the majority of folks with Rathke's do not have symptoms. It sounds like you are one of the folks who has symptoms if you have a Rathke's.

Your hormones could be out of Whack because of what area your Rathke's pushes on. I had low Growth hormone, low thyroid and high prolactin way before I had surgery. Rathkes are also notorious for causing headaches.
.
And yes, it is most likely operable via a surgery that has been done to thousands and thousands of people.. Whether you push for surgery or not is something that only you can decide.

The decision to have surgery or not requires you to understand your hormonal status. Many opt to have their hormones assessed and corrected before considering surgery...If you are able to get your symptoms down this way then your doctors might be able to take a wait and see approach with regular MRIs and hormonal correction.

A pituitary center with a good neuro-endo.and neurosurgeon is where you need to go to be assessed, treated and advised. Educate yourself too. All pituitary docs are NOT created equal which is a sad truth. Run if your doctors say that a small cyst could not cause your hormones to be off.This is simply not true yet very common..

Good luck!

Horselip.
Thanks so much for such a quick response.

I only know that it is located in the pars intermedia of the pituitary.

My hormones are alright, nothing completely out of whack, but then again, I am on steroid replacement.

But the headaches/migraines are terrible. They are daily and do not respond well to medications.

Yes, I think it would be best to contact a few neurosurgeons and hear their opinion. I would prefer to have this over and done with and not be on steroid replacement for the rest of my life.
I would suggest that you find a pituitary center and let them suggest surgeons. Not just any surgeon will do - you need experienced surgeons in pituitary and while some surgeons will take it on, you really do need the pituitary experience.

Having surgery may or may not (likely not) change the replacements. The better the surgeon, IMHO, the less the replacements but a lot can depend on the lesion as well.

Your cyst is located between the front and back lobes of the pituitary. Did they give you a size?
It is a small cyst, 2 mm.
I'm on Cabergoline since last month, and I noticed increased thirst during night. I also have Hashi hypothyroid and the my levels were never optimised since 2006
*Slaps head* Duh... I read it in the first post but my brain did not retain it!
Hopefully with a smaller one the skilled surgeon will not impact as many hormones.