Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Sudden pain when lying down?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Sudden pain when lying down?

For the months it's been difficult to sleep. On certain positions, most specially lying face left or right, I would experience sudden 1 sec stabbing pain in my head in different locations. The pain is like sharp stabbing pain that only lasts 1 sec, and it will make you jolt/shock for 1 sec. This happens randomly but mostly when lying down although it has happened very rarely when I am sitting/standing.

Maybe some nerves are not aligned in my head that's getting hit when I lie down or maybe there's some tumor, I am not sure. Has anyone experienced this before and have any tips?

Note that I had pleomorphic adenoma in my right ear and it was removed more than 1 year ago via surgery. I never felt this sudden head pain prior to that so it may be related.
Have you had any follow up imaging on the surgical location?

That type of tumor can recur - did you have pain before? Brain tumor symptoms can vary - and they are not common. Scar tissue can also be an issue.

I would go see your doctor.
I have not had any follow-ups for more than a year now as the doctor said no need for follow-ups after post surgery visit (1 month after).

No random pain like this before surgery.

As much as possible I want to avoid going back to the doctor as I want to avoid getting Xray, CT, or MRI again. It's expensive and probably hazardous. But I think that is the only way for now.

Thanks!
I have never heard of them not wanting a MRI 3 months after surgery. I had mine last Friday. I will find out today how it looks.
Your tumor was in the salivary gland - how about an ultrasound? I agree with Ken - usually they do check out the area after surgery...

I get imaging all the time - I get MRIs yearly for my tumor (I call him Fred) and with all the other crud going on, I have ended up with tons of CTs, x-rays and all - yeah, there are risks and the co-pays bite, but to me I would rather know.

I did get some nerve pain after one of my surgeries - but not sure where you had surgery is near any of the facial nerves. It could also be dental or other... really hard to tell online so you have to see a good doc that will track it down - but transient pain is hard to find.
Alright, I will go to the doc soon.
I will just update this thread in the future.
Thanks guys and best of health to all.