Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
VERY IMPORTANT ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

VERY IMPORTANT ?

I HAVE BEEN TAKING METHADONE FOR 5YRS80 MGS ADAY. ABOUT 10 YRS  BEFORE I STARTED THE METHADONE I HAD A TUMOR ON MY PITUITARY IT WAS REMOVED. SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT TAKING METHADONE COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH THE PITUITARY.WOULD SOMEONE LET ME KNOW THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME.
What kind of tumor was removed? Have you had any follow up treatment?

I did find this abstrast:
Methadone (Mtd) is a widely used opioid drug associated with the side effect of hyperprolactinemia. The mechanism of how Mtd induces prolactin secretion remains unclear. The effects of Mtd and its two main metabolites (EDDP: (±)-2-ethyl-1,5-dimethyl-3,3-diphenylpyrrolinium percholarate and EMDP: 2-ethyl-5-methyl-3,3-dipnehyl-1-pyrroline) on ion currents were investigated in GH₃ pituitary tumor cells. Hyperpolarization-elicited K+ currents in GH₃ cells bathed in a high-K(+), Ca(2+)-free solution were studied to evaluate the effects of Mtd and other related compounds on the ether-à-go-go-related-gene (erg) K(+) current (I(K(erg))). Mtd suppressed the amplitude of I(K(erg)) in a concentration-dependent manner with an IC(50) value of 10.4 μM. With the aid of a minimal binding scheme, the inhibitory action of Mtd on I(K(erg)) was estimated with a dissociation constant of 8.2 μM. Mtd tended to increase the rate of I(K(erg)) deactivation in a voltage-dependent fashion. EDDP (10 μM) had no effect on I(K(erg)), while EMDP (10μM) slightly suppressed it. In GH₃ cells incubated with naloxone (30 μM), the Mtd-induced inhibition of I(K(erg)) remained unaltered. Under cell-attached voltage-clamp recordings, Mtd increased the frequency of spontaneous action currents with no change in current amplitude. Similarly, Mtd can suppress I(K(erg)) in differentiated NG108-15 cells; dynorphin A(1-13) did not reverse Mtd-induced inhibition of I(K(erg)). This study shows that Mtd has a depressant effect on I(K(erg)), and suggests its ability to affect membrane excitability and prolactin secretion. The cyclization of Mtd, in which EDDP and EMDP are formed, tends to be critical in removal of the Mtd binding to erg K+ channel.

So if you had a prolactinoma, which is the most common type of pituitary tumors - then the methadone could raise prolactin but there are a lot of other types of pituitary tumors. So you have to know more of your medical history. Sadly, 10 years ago docs would have done the surgery and said see ya later but the better ones know now that you need follow up care forever as you may need hormonal care and that does not remain static. Plus the dang tumors grow back.
Pain Tracker
Pain
sherry301e79 joined this community
Welcome them!
Jun 24
melimeli commented on specialmom's status
Jun 22
melimeli commented on spider6's status
Jun 22