Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
What are bright spots on an MRI?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

What are bright spots on an MRI?

This question is primarily out of curiosity's sake, not really diagnostic. A few months ago I took part in an fMRI study (without contrast) for a psychology course for an optional extra credit (so I did it for fun rather than for diagnostic purposes). Since then, they've sent me images of my brain, which have been really neat to look at.

Anyway, I noticed that I have a bright spot (it shows up as stark white) on what appears to be my lateral and posterior pituitary gland. It literally looks like a band has encompassed what otherwise appears to be a normal pituitary. Can this be a normal variation or is this common of some sort of a pituitary lesion? Or am I completely off and something like this suggest the location of my pituitary stalk and/or optic chiasm? If it's anything to be remotely concerned about, I will discuss this with my doctor. I just wanted to get some insight before I ended up jumping the gun a little too quickly.

Thanks for your help!

I had a couple of pit tumors - and I can tell you that they look for dark, not light. I know, I kept looking at the light parts, but they look for hypo-intense- that is, less intense.

If you look at my pics, I have a pit pic up there with some bright on it - that is my residual pit lighting up - I had pit surgery so my anatomy is a bit different.
Thanks for the info! I see a couple of *tiny* hypointense spots, but then again, the images I have are also tiny, so it could just be the quality of the scan images that I got.

I was also curious because I've recently gained about 30 lbs in 3 months without any changes to my normal diet or exercise levels (other than really *bad* and constant fatigue but that preceded any weight gain by almost a year), and was thinking maybe something hormonal might be going on. Time to talk to my doc either way =)
Yes - blood tests are the best way to figure out the hormonal stuff anyway.

White spots can be so many things... I went to a seminar and a doc talked us through reading films. It was pretty neat. If you have a CD, sometimes the software lets you  zoom in - that helps.