Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
What were your first symptoms of a cyst/ tumor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

I have been having headaches on the left side of my head, nausea everyday (pregnancy ruled out), and have been sleepy and tired for about a month now. What were your first symptoms that prompted you to see a doctor to rule out a cyst or tumor?

Thanks!

Rhonda
Hi - It never occurred to me that I had a cyst or tumor when I went to the doctor. I just knew I was having headaches on right side of my head and it needed to be checked out. I was nauseas and vomitting, vertigo/dizzy. I was also at the time having drop attacks for no apparent reason, extremely fatigued, had blurry vision. I had sharp shooting pains in my head that made me feel altered and was have deja vu episodes incessantly.

I was actually shocked that I had both a tumor and cysts. First test they did was a ct scan which showed nothing and I had to push for a mri as my doc was under the impression I was making stuff up and it was all in my head. Lol, it turned out to be in my head for real ;-)

I went in to address my headaches - I think if I had mentioned anything about a tumor to the doc I would have had to fight even harder to get her to listen.

First thing my docs did was put me on medication for the headaches and it didn't work. After two visits I requested a ct scan which came back normal and because by the time the ct scan happened I had been having headaches everyday for about 2 months, I didn't think it was a stretch to request an mri.

Follow up with your doc and ask about imaging since your headaches have been going on for a month. Make your case if you have too.
Headaches on one side of the head are classic for migraines. When you go to the doctor, that is likely the first answer you will get. Only a good doc will go further and screen for other things. But if migraine meds work, that may be the issue.

Your symptoms warrant seeing a doctor now - why not see one?
Just wondering how you are going? Also why did the CT scan not show anything? was it because they were small?
Hope to hear from you soon
I have been having right sided headaches for about 6 months now and my doc insisted it was maigraines.  The meds did not work.  I tried over the counter migraine meds also.  The only thing that helped the whole right side of my head was  strong ibuprofen, but the sharp pain on the right side middle still knocks me off my feet.  The dizziness and nauseua are horrible.  Seen doc twice about this and he still insists that it's migraines.  Horribly exhausted and not living life the way I used to could.  He thinks that's just depression even tho I keep saying that I sm.not depressed.  
Hi, sorry its taken me so long to respond. I've been off the forums for some time and only coming in sporadically.

That's correct, the ct scan did not pick up on the pit tumor because it was small and ct scans *typically* aren't sensitive enough to pick up on the small stuff. I'm glad I pushed for the MRI as it turned out - I have an uncle who had surgery on a rather large pit tumor last year and is doing great.

As of now, I'm still like most people dealing with the symptoms and frustrated with doctors. Should be going in to a Chronic fatigue clinic soon and also having a stress test done to have a look at my heart.....covering all our basis since the docs insist my symptoms are not from the tumor or annies I have. :-)

How are you?

Sorry to hear about the pain you are in. That sharp pain can be pretty intense can't it!

I totally understand not living life the way you know you can. Having a headache for 6 months can have you forgetting what it feels like to feel good. Glad to hear that you've found something, ibuprofen, that works.

What's your next step? Have you asked your doc how long do you go with having a headache before some sort of test is done? Say, if you still have these headaches in a month what type of test would he suggest....and or could your doc send you to a headache specialist???

Wishing you well,

Crwstar