burst piturity tumour
Hi My tumour burst and on the same weekend i had a stroke thankfully, with no lasting effects.  I am currently awaiting further tests but the docs havnt seen this before so I am rather concerned to say the least.   I see that you are all talking about pressures???? and stunts???? and would like to know what these are? Does anyone know what the next step in my treatment is likely to be? has anyones tumour burst and whats happened to them? Please advise!! Im only 48 and up to this point really healthy!
Thank you.
I think what you are talking about is pituitary apoplexy or infarction - that is what a what a *burst pituitary* is called. That means the pituitary tumor bled.

You are hopefully under the care of a neuro-endocrinologist, and the doctor is running the pituitary and other hormonal tests that you need so that your needed hormones stay at an optimal level to sustain life and quality of life.

The pressure would be in regards to the cerebral spinal fluid - that is the fluid that bathes the brain, pituitary and spinal cord and it must be in a certain range or as you know, the pain is rather horrid as well as compresses the brain and blood vessels (which can be fatal). The doctors usually put in a shunt which is to simplify a tube so that when the levels get too high, the CSF can drain, usually into the stomach, and keep your pressure levels safe.

You are going to need hormonal monitoring with the help of a pituitary specialist from this point forward. The shunt may be temporary or long term. I would advise you to get copies of your tests and get educated, and stay on top of your treatments.