Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
cancerous tumor in thalamus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

cancerous tumor in thalamus

My cousin Dave, we recently found out, has a large cancerous tumor in his left thalamus. He was able to undergo a biopsy, but they are saying it is inoperable. Right now, I do not know what type of tumor it is (the results of the biopsy) but we are waiting.

He noticed that he was very tired, and did go to the doctor but the doctor said he was fine (the old, just getting older bit) and so he did not get a CT until he woke up one morning and could not speak well and had problems moving his arms and legs. It was only then the large tumor was discovered.

He lives in Montana and so right now the family is all rallying around and trying to find the best place for him to go for treatment.

I was just wondering if anyone else around here had a tumor in the thalumus or knew anyone with one.

We had an uncle of ours pass a few years ago with a cancerous brain tumor as well but his was temporal. We think it was an astrocytoma based on them saying it had a lot of tentacles. We cannot be sure as my cousins would not tell us what kind it was. That happened 6 months after my dad passed from a cancerous brain tumor as well - I don't know what kind that was as his 2nd wife will not tell us. I only know from the death certificate.
We found out it is a CNS Lymphoma. Odd in that he is not immuno-compromised but that is what it is.
He has already started chemo.
A BIG thanks for the warm welcome Rumpled!  I had the initial impression that it was one of those auto-generated greetings (lol)  This is the 3rd forum I've joined since sorting through diagnosis after diagnosis beginning last fall. I regret not finding this site sooner since it seems much more active and dynamic than any other I've come across.
   I'm very sorry that your cousin was dx w/ the hypothal tumor. From everything I've read, that would be a terribly risky surgery, no? Is chemo going to be the sole treatment? It's very fortunate that he has a supportive family and I will pray that he can keep his spirits up & find some peace. Hope to talk to you again soon!

~Jesse~  
No, or at least, I have not found a way to set it up... I feel bad as I think I miss people.

He is doing chemo for now and from what I have read, there is a combo of chemo and radiation that seems to be most effective.

I hope we can help you out here.
My father has a couple tumors in his right thalamus and his medical team performed radiation with Tomotherapy.  It worked temporarily, but the tumor has grown only 3 months after treatment.  We are now looking at doing a Craniotomy (key-hole) surgical procedure to remove the tumors.  Will update you, but here are a few facilities who we are contacting and they all do metastatic brain surgery.

University of Pittsburg UPMC
Mayo Clinic
UCLA Neurosurgical
Thank you. What kind of tumor does your father have?

Please forgive me if I do not respond promptly, I will be on and off the boards that next 10 days taking care of my own tumor (just testing, I hope).
My father has just discovered that he has a small tumor in the thalamus area, but we have not had a biopsy and are waiting on an appointment with a neurosurgeon.  Emory University in Atlanta is a leader in the neurology field and has an advanced Endoscopy procedure that can possibly reach the mid-brain thalamus area... please check out the link and I wish you all the best of luck.

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/neurosurgery/make-an-appointment.html
I hope your father does well. My cousin is still alive. He did chemo only based on  his biopsy and his tumor shrank.
hi rumpled: im sorry you and your family are going threw all this. i will keep you and your cousin in my prayers. you have helped all of us on this form and supported us threw some hard times and i know your cousin is lucky to have you on thier side. i hope your tumor is just testing to and even that is hard at times. sending you hugs and prayers.
old thread...
i dident even notice the date on the post. i guess i need to start paying att to the dates . hope all is well with you and thanks .
Thanks. My cousin is ok so far. He has to go for MRIs every few months to check but so far he the tumor is behaving. But it is a type where the survival rate is usually only a few years so we shall see.