Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

dizziness

hello
writing this i am currently under panic. I am 24 years old. About a week ago, i started experiencing dizziness. No nausia, no blur vision, no headaches, no ear pain or weird sounds. After a week, i still
exprerience constant dizziness, especially when i stand up or sit on a chair but almost none when i lie down. i ve run some blood tests where it seemed nothing wrong. HC and HGB where normal,
and blood suger and urine where normal as well. Today i started a treatment taking "Antivom" and "Sibelium". Antivom seems to be working after an hour but only slightly and not for long.
Doctor said if no improvement is marked in a week, i should see a neurologist or even an oncologist since it could be a brain tumor, although it is rather rare. And i find myself under sheer
panic. Could it be a brain tumor?
Geez, your PCP/Family Physician is "jumping the gun" a bit; a consult for an Oncologist based on what yet?  

First, has he/she ordered any scan of your head?  MRI or CT?  Blood pressure ok? Hopefully, your blood pressure was checked lying, sitting and standing.  Any chance of pregnancy?  Any medical history?

Secondly, the Neurology consult and a scan of your head would be appropriate if all the above has been ruled out ok/negative.  

Keep us posted.

sorry, should have mentioned that i am a man (no pregnancy scenario, i hope). my blood pressure was checked only while sitting. No head scans yet though, since he wants to see what will happen with the current therapy. i dont know and i cant think of anything else useful to comment.
in my family there is a tendency for cancer. An aunt with breast cancer and an uncle with a spine tumor.
So sorry I referred to you as a woman; I get the colors of the heads mixed up sometimes.

See what happens with the current therapy and if not effective, then I would have the blood pressure rechecked in the lying, sitting and standing positions.  If that is ok, go for the scan; MRI of the head/brain WITH contrast and a Neuro referral.  

Thirdly, I also have a history of cancer in my family too; 6 members have died from it, so I know how you feel.  Just don't get worked up yet until you get some definite answers; you really have nothing to go on for now.  

Keep us posted.
it's allright. actually i can live with a pregnancy better than with a brain tumor :)

these are my blood tests, run 4 days ago:

sugar: 95 mg/dL
Urine : 36.7 mg/dL
Transaminase ALT (SGPT) : 29.2 U/L

HCT : 39.3%
HGB 12.7 gr/dL
RBC 5.96 M/ml
MCV 65.9 fl
MCH 21.3 pg
MCHC 32.3 gr/dL
RDW-CV 19.2%

NEUT 59.2%
LYM 28.5%
MONO 7.3%
EOS 4.9%
BASO 0.1%

PLT 279 K/ml
PCT 0.34%
MPV 12.3 fl
PDW 20.6 %
i dont know whether what i experience can be named as vertigo. i feel what i was feeling after a good drinking. no faint or blackout symptoms though.
i havent checked my iron and feritin specifiacally since the hematocrite was proven to be alright.
I havent seen any ear nose and throat specialist i must admit. but from what i was told the therapy i am currently under is targeted for Meniere syndrome with betahistine hydrochloride.

there is something wrong going on as far as blood pressure is concerned. these are the steps.

lying down: blood pressure: 124/83 heart pulses: 73 (almost no dizziness at all)
standing up : BP : 116/73 HP : 103 (dizzy even when i move my eyes from site to site)
sitting : BP: 131/88 HP: 69 (dizzy only when i move my head especially when looking from downwards to straight)

i dont find it the logic of the blood pressure droping while the heartbeat rising but i am not a doctor either.
i also want to point out that this "dizziness" doesnt come in waves nor it is something i feel for the last hours. the symptoms are constant and present for 8 days now.

there is also another symptom i have noticed (not even sure if it is a symptom at all). the dizziness is greater when i have laid down for a longer period. especially after sleep or long time lying on the bed. furthermore the day i went to the doctor, i went on bicycle. i was dizzy at first, but after an hour or so i was feeling perfect.
then i went back home, i laid down on the bed and when i got up again i was dizzy.
First, there is nothing significant with the blood pressures and the labs; look ok. The HR a little difference, but...  The BP should have been taken lying, sitting then standing manually, not with a machine and 5 minutes apart.  The constant dizziness sounds to me like something else than the blood pressure.  

Secondly, you are being treated for Meniere's and no ENT consult?  Please get an ENT referral/consult ASAP.  He/she can do vestibular testing to rule out Meniere's or something else going on with the inner ear.  How long have you been on the Betahistine?  Usually, it is ordered one tablet 3x/day.  Is it helping at all?

Thirdly, In my opinion, you should have your head scanned ASAP too.

This is the second day of betahistine. I am feeling a bit better than other days but i dont know if it is due to it, or whether the dizziness was caused by something else which fades out by the time (could that be possible for a brain tumor?) i am taking one tablet 2x/day
i ve also started feeling something weird in my right ear. not pain but something like what i feel when i put my finger in it. (sorry cant describe it in a different way.)
You seem to be fixated on the diagnosis of a brain tumor.  The only way to find out is to have a scan of your head.

Secondly, if you are responding to the Betahistine, then this is possibly an ENT situation you are dealing with.  

english is not my native language. does fix on mean attach or something like this? i believe it is so because i tend to think the worst scenario in every problem. and i can't think of anything worse right now.

ps: please if you do, feel fre NOT to share with me. ;)
two days later:

responding very well to betahistine. almost no dizziness.
If you are responding to the Betahistine, great.  I thought it might be something inner ear.  That is what I was trying to tell you to keep you calm;  the situation did not sound like "a worse case senario." Glad you are feeling better.  
indeed. thank you a lot. it seems i should start thinking more positively from now on. :) i really appreciate the help you ve provided. my best wishes. :)
You are welcome. Yes, positive thinking helps :)