Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
loss of balance, running into objects. vertigo or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

i don't have any tumors or anything like that (that i'm aware of. i've never had any kind of scan). over the past few years i've noticed my balance beginning to weaken. i'll be standing there and i'll almost fall over, as if the ground has moved. or i'll be walking and my weight will shift (as if one side of the ground has collapsed and you're trying to reposition yourself) and i'll run into a wall. and i'll be walking, and when i stop moving my legs, my body won't stop moving, and my legs won't respond to catch myself, even though i'm telling my brain to move my legs! i miss targets (like when pushing buttons), and i'll miscalculate the distance between me and something else so i'll either jam my fingers into the object or i'll just touch air.  i also run into doors with my arms (again, miscalculating distances), and i have bruises/cuts to prove it. i've fallen at least once. i have to coordinate certain movements in my head before doing them, for example, going up or down stairs...  also my memory has gotten so much worse...just thought i'd throw that in there :D

anyone have any ideas? i'm stumped. any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated and welcomed.

thanks :)
Hopefully she will refer you, but she should also know how to do a basic neuro physical exam herself as a primary care doc and it sounds to like that should be enough to prompt her to order a brain scan herself.  She should also do the referral you mention.

You're welcome.
Had an eye exam lately?

Go see a doctor - the only way to get assessed is to get a physical.
You cannot know then, with no brain scan that you are tumor free.  I'd suggest you get a neuro physical exam from you doctor with that kind of spatial perception and if they don't already conclude you need a scan, ask for one.  On balance, other things they might want to do as well are pics of your cervical (neck discs) and vestibular testing, as those can affect balance.

And ask for B 12 testing, because low levels of that vitamin can affect memory.  And iron deficiency can affect concentration, so you might ask for a ferritin (iron stores) test as well.  
I have had an eye exam and there are no problems that my optomitrist can detect. He ran all kinds of tests, and besides a negligable change in my prescription, he found nothing seriously wrong :\ i kind of hoped there was something wrong with my eyes. i already have chemical imbalances, the last thing i want is a tumor or some other kind of abnormality.  thank you for your help :)

and to SurgiMenopause, i think i'll take you up on that. i've had several blood tests, and my B12  number was low, but i've been working on that. i've noticed no improvement besides having more energy :p next time i see my primary doc i'll tell her all of this and hopefully she refer me to a good neurologist. thanks for your help :)

You're welcome.
I used to have similar issues with distance etc and I had just a slightly lazy eye. It was so undetectable that it took until I was 28 before one eye doctor finally picked it up and they put prisms in my glasses and then I could finally go up and down stairs well as well as grab knobs properly. Only two doctors in my life have noticed it without me telling them. Perhaps you have something like that? It could be that you have impaired depth perception? That could be part of the picture, anyway.
Her description puts me in mind of that old 1939 Bette Davis movie, Dark Victory.  Ever seen that?
No! But I like old movies... I will look for it.
thank you everyone for all your comments :) it's given me confidence to talk to my doctor about this...it also gives me strength knowing that i'm not the only one with these symptoms.  once i ran into someone, i knew it was time to bring it up to my doctor. next time i see her i will definitely tell her ^_^
Pish, I run into people all the time! I can't walk straight for nothing... Let us know what the doc says - you may be able to save us all!
haha, no sweat :p