Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
origin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

origin

what produces a tectal glioma? does any research give clues or is it "congenital"? can the rate of growth be predicted?
I did some research...
"Located at the back of the midbrain, these are usually solid, focal, slow-growing tumors with a gradual onset of symptoms" is the definition of a tectal glioma.

A glioma itself is:
"Glioma” is a general term used to describe any tumor that arises from the supportive (“gluey”) tissue of the brain. This tissue, called “glia,” helps to keep the neurons in place and functioning well."

In general, from what I know of my family dealing with brain tumors, until you have some sort of biopsy or removal where the tumor is graded, you don't know how aggressive the tumor is - as in how fast moving it is. There are some types that are known to be more aggressive, and some that are not though.

My research said these tumors are low grade - aka - not fast growers. They also found no genetic link.

Rates of growth differ in every person IMHO.

Thank you for the information!
Hope everything turns out okay. If you can, please let us know.