Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
pituitary MRI scheduled for Wednesday

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

pituitary MRI scheduled for Wednesday

Wanted to let any of you who remember me know I am planning to get what may be my last pituitary MRI on Wednesday morning, Lord willing.  The time before last, the microadenoma (which first was discovered in 2008 at app. 6 mm in size) seemed to be shrinking, and then, it was not seen at all on the last one, though a possible pineal cyst was discovered.
Good luck. My tumor also *appeared* to change sizes on the MRI but in reality (aka my head) it was flattening out and growing so while imaging is nice, it does not always tell the entire story. Make sure they still follow up with labs and all.

Re pineal cyst - are you having sleep issues and are they checking melatonin levels?
I don't think I have the clinical indications necessary to be followed up- the last endocrinologist I saw believed I should waste no more time and money on it, but a surgeon I see offered to order one more MRI for peace of mind that it's really gone (I'd like this radiologist  to say something too about this new thing found last year).   I also had wanted to pay for an over-read, but a radiologist I spoke to suggested getting another MRI the following year (this year) and then he could take a look at the last MRI and compare.   My pituitary is at the top end of normal range in size , which is interesting to me since I have a small head- probably of no clinical significance though.

RE: the possible pineal cyst, which I read online differential diagnosis can include meningioma, which runs in my family.... I had one melatonin blood test (couldn't get urine test- not available in this rural area where I live) done and it came back okay- not really high, like a cancerous pineal cyst can cause.   I usually get at least seven hours of sleep, though I've had some change in that when I wake up, I don't always go back to sleep quickly, like I normally used to.  (Of course I'm also in surgical menopause.)
Well I m just going to cross my fingers that something, anything, is revealed. I had a cyst that liked to blow up in size and then get really tiny b4 it was taken out.

R all of your Pituitary hormones ok 4 now?

Horselip
Just was praying about tomorrow's MRI. Tumor was initially thought to be a prolactinoma- the tumor is likely gone now, but want this last MRI to double check things.  As far as I know, the pit. hormones are okay... didn't get much tested last year at the last endo doctor.  He thought I had already had an abundance of lab tests in previous years.  

The cyst you refer to- you had a pineal cyst?  This abnormal signal last year thought to a possible 6 mm pineal cyst was not mentioned in any previous MRI exams.
Well, I got to the hospital and when the admissions person asked for the order, realized I'd forgotten it on the fridge.... I had all my previous MRIs and reports, but forgot that.  So, then I called home but neglected to say which hospital I was at so my dad went to the wrong one.  He finally made it, but the order, though it said "dynamic" was marked without contrast and the pre-certification with the insurance company was done improperly.  So, I didn't get the MRI this morning.  Currently, it's rescheduled for Friday morning.
I am not a fan of docs who think tests that happened last year cover *this year* - uh - how is that valid at all???

My prolactinoma lay dormant for years but was still there - and I still had issues with another tumor as well. They need to test  you well every year (or more often not cop out on one test was ok never test again.

Sorry abut the goof up - hope the imaging goes ok when it happens!
Well, my MRI had to be rescheduled for Monday- incorrect paperwork for precert with insurance issue.   Anyway, I got the results today.  The radiologist didn't mention the pineal thing in the report and I called... good news- the possible pineal cyst of the last place's report turned out to be what this radiologist believes are calcifications, which can happen with aging, and nothing to get excited about.    

He says in the impression about pituitary: "No definitive microadenoma.  There is still a vague area of fullness and decreased attenuation around 5 mm within the left pituitary gland"  (in body mentions "a vague area of questionable decreased attenuation on the delayed washout images.  Area noted on the prior exam is actually even less discretely discernable on this study.)"  He also says in the impressions: "Further imaging will probably not be necessary unless it is clinically warranted for this patient."  

While on the phone, he told me he almost has to imagine about the pituitary thing and we're done with f/up imaging- so great news!!!  If I start having galactorrhea  again some time down the road, I would want them to take another look.  But no more brain MRIs for now!
So that's good! There was no increase in size from what he was able to see.
As long as you feel well and your labs are good, then it's the type of news that you want hear. Great!
Horselip
Thanks for the response!  I have other health issues, but this one seems layed to rest for now, thanks be to God!
Good for you! I would still keep an eye on tests though but that is just me.