Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
pituitary microadenoma and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

pituitary microadenoma and pregnancy

I'm a 29yo first-time pregnant woman (6 weeks) and have had an inactive pituitary microadenoma for at least 5 years. The adenoma has hemorrhaged at least 2x in the past, but my last two MRIs have shown gradual shrinking. I've informed my OBGYN about this and my PCP referred me to a maternal-fetal doctor, but none seem particulalrly concerned. Even my neuorsurgeon said last year that if I were to get pregnant, he wouldn't need to monitor it, only the endocrinologist would. I am concerned about having the MRI and problems with pregnancy, but noone else seems to be, even with a history of hemorrhage. Should I have the MRI? Are there legitimate reasons to be concerned when having a preexisting microadenoma?
OMG. You have what is called pituitary apoplexy. Who cares that the thing is gradually shrinking - why is no one taking care of your hormones and your pituitary? Are you aware that you are at risk for a stroke? Sheehan's syndrome in childbirth?

You need a neuro-endocrinologist, not just any endocrinologist. A regular MRI should be OK - there is no radiation in an MRI, but the contrast may be a no-no.

Normal pit patients would be high risk - but since you have apoplexy, I would make sure you get extra care - you risk losing a lot of hormones. It may not happen, but you need to take care. As well, what testing as been done to date?
I am 28 year old (13 weeks pregnant) with past case of pituatary microadenoma and was on cabergoline for around 2 years before that. Is it better to go for a repeat MRI as I have headaches and discomfort at times?
I am assuming by your post that you only took the medication for two years and you are off it.
Did you tell your OB/GYN about your pituitary tumor? I am assuming from the medication that it is/was a prolactinoma and the medication was the only treatment. I am also assuming that you saw a normal endo and not a neuro-endo as a neuro-endo would not let you stop the medication AS the tumor is not gone and once you are a pituitary patient, you are one forever.

My advice to you is to please find a neuro-endo. You also need to find a high risk OB/GYN as the pituitary tumor is going to likely grow with your pregnancy as the type of tumor you have is a hormone that is naturally increased with pregnancy. The MRI is needed but I am not sure about the baby and you cannot have contrast now.

Please find a pituitary center and get to a neuro endocrinologist for ongoing monitoring and know going forward that pituitary tumors require ongoing treatment.
I am 34yrs old have been diagnosed with  5 7mmmicroadenoma 2mnths back was on treatmentwith bromocriptine  prolactin levels were more than 100 now come to 22 normal am pregnant after 11yrs with 5.2wks preg want to cont preg but gynaec advised to discontinue adenoma treatmenf wi it affect me and my baby how
I am not a doctor or a pharmacist.

I do *believe* that you have to suspend the medication on a temporary basis while you are pregnant, but that you should be under the care of a high risk gyne AND a neuro-endo as your tumor is under risk of growing with the pregnancy. So you need to make sure your levels do not exceed certain levels as well as you need regular eye exams by a neuro-optho.

Prolactin would normally rise during pregancy - but it can also make the tumor grow. How much - can vary.